Anyone achieve a blue speckled egg layer? Green speckled? gold?

Are you referring to my Silverudd’s Blue? One of my hens just started laying bluer eggs. They had been laying olive green. The colors in the photo are a bit different. Off the top of my head I’d say there is Araucana in the line for blue egg. The speckles are from the Silverudd’s. The breeder of these has both breeds.

Are you referring to my Silverudd’s Blue? One of my hens just started laying bluer eggs. They had been laying olive green. The colors in the photo are a bit different. Off the top of my head I’d say there is Araucana in the line for blue egg. The speckles are from the Silverudd’s. The breeder of these has both breeds.
Yeah, the one on very top looks to be blue with brown spots. Not familiar with silverudds blue. I’m using welsummers for my speckles. So your not sure how the crosses were made just what breeds were used then I take it. Or is she 50/50?

:popI am so interested to see how this will turn out. I hope to one day have some hens that will lay colored eggs, but alas I have only the dull brown and white, occasionally we will get a really brown egg with red almost pink speckles. Or sometimes we get really dark brown eggs that look sort of maroon. But beyond that nothing spectacular going on here. I have a cuckoo maran pullet right now she will be three months come December, hopefully we will get a different color, I’ve read that maran eggs are very dark and the egg she hatched out of was red speckled.

Yeah, the one on very top looks to be blue with brown spots. Not familiar with silverudds blue. I’m using welsummers for my speckles. So your not sure how the crosses were made just what breeds were used then I take it. Or is she 50/50?

Yeah, it's blue with speckles. Breeders will bring in a different breed when there are genetic issues and then breed those out later. The Silveruddd's Blue (aka Isbar) had some genetic issues due to limited gene pool and the importation of a second group that brought some problems with them. That said, they do lay speckled eggs- these speckles are a Silverudd's Blue egg trait in many - not all - of the lines I've read about. Whether that was the intention of the famous Monk who created this breed or not I don't know. I've read he died before he finished perfecting this breed. I'm pretty sure mine are close to the standard of the breed at this point and the chicks I'm hatching are true to the standard.... just this blue egg thing now.
They are supposed to lay green eggs. I personally don't mind the blue speckled eggs though some people buy them for the green egg. Will have to wait and see what my next pullets start to lay and maybe separate the blue egg layer. It is only one.

Yeah, it's blue with speckles. Breeders will bring in a different breed when there are genetic issues and then breed those out later. The Silveruddd's Blue (aka Isbar) had some genetic issues due to limited gene pool and the importation of a second group that brought some problems with them. That said, they do lay speckled eggs- these speckles are a Silverudd's Blue egg trait in many - not all - of the lines I've read about. Whether that was the intention of the famous Monk who created this breed or not I don't know. I've read he died before he finished perfecting this breed. I'm pretty sure mine are close to the standard of the breed at this point and the chicks I'm hatching are true to the standard.... just this blue egg thing now.
They are supposed to lay green eggs. I personally don't mind the blue speckled eggs though some people buy them for the green egg. Will have to wait and see what my next pullets start to lay and maybe separate the blue egg layer. It is only one.
Yeah I have since looked up the breed and seen that some, anyhow had the spots. I started thinking these were the Isbar. Yeah wouldn’t mind tapping into some of that blood line. Gonna have to do further research on it. Just playing around with the blue and speckles now. Just assumed they would be more green. But really like the blue with the speckles.

Yeah I have since looked up the breed and seen that some, anyhow had the spots. I started thinking these were the Isbar. Yeah wouldn’t mind tapping into some of that blood line. Gonna have to do further research on it. Just playing around with the blue and speckles now. Just assumed they would be more green. But really like the blue with the speckles.
It's such a complicated maze, LOL. Finally get the right eye color, leg color, plumage :yesss:and then the egg color goes :rolleyes: They are green but some are a lighter shade of green. The darker olive drab looks khaki. I've read some people have tan eggs. I wouldn't say mine lay tan- at least not yet. I have a juggling act with my Aruacana as well. I just started with them too. None are laying yet but the eggs from a well known breeder I purchased from for a good foundation hatched and are growing tails :( plus my Cream Legbars lay bluer eggs than the eggs sent to me from this breeder. I'm just learning how complicated it all really is.

Yeah I almost got into aruacanas, joined an association of breeders. But a little too expensive and such a high death rate for hatching eggs. Also a lot of breeders I found didn’t want to sell eggs. Just focusing on unique egg color at this point along with keeping a line of blue eggs as well.

Yeah I almost got into aruacanas, joined an association of breeders. But a little too expensive and such a high death rate for hatching eggs. Also a lot of breeders I found didn’t want to sell eggs. Just focusing on unique egg color at this point along with keeping a line of blue eggs as well.
I’ve not experienced any mortality of chicks and the no hatched were from undeveloped eggs. The death rate is handled breeding tufted to clean faced chickens. I have a double tufted cockerel with two tufted hens and. Double tufted cockerel with clean face hens. That’s the plan anyway. We’ll see.

Back
Top Bottom