anyone breed finches?

Myst4

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
N.S., Canada
Anyone know about finches? I have a breeding pair who have now laid eggs. I know they will do all the work,they have been parents before I bought them. My question is, after the eggs have hatched, is there any special foods I should get for the babies? or does the parents do all that?

I have some zebra finches that had a few clutches a couple of years ago. The only thing I did was make sure they had plenty of fresh water, they like plain scrambled egg, greens and millet, plus a cuttle bone. The parents will do the rest!

How many eggs did they lay?

Quote:
I have Zebra Finches too. They have fresh water every day with vitamins added,fresh food and a cuttle bone. I think I might start giving them scrambled eggs. Well, I didn't know they had any eggs until I tried to peek in their nest today when the male(Mylo) came out of it. I saw at least 2 eggs. I don't think the female(Keeta) is done yet, she is still "puffed" out and eats like crazy also well indulges herself in the cuttle bone. I have read somewhere that they can have up to 15 eggs in one clutch!
ep.gif
I have also read somewhere else that they can have from 3-5 eggs in a clutch. They are in a huge cage so I'm not worried about the number of babies.

Aren't they the cutest little things?! I love zebras.
smile.png
Their babies are the tiniest little pink wads. They look like chewed up pieces of gum when they're born.
love.gif

My breeding pairs' largest clutch was 9 and all survived! I'd love to have more peeps but with 13 parakeets, 2 cockatiels, 5 finches and 11 chickens, I'm about worn out with birds!
lol.png

Sounds like you're doing everything right!

Back
Top Bottom