Anyone buy feed in Bulk?

wisdom_seeker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
CT
Does anyone buy feed in larger qtys than 50 LB bags?

What is the order min. and what do you pay per 100 lbs. ???

Well we buy 1-2 tons every month. For 21% is $450 and 27% is $480 & 16% layer is $400. Only thing we can get in 80 lbs is the layer and that is $16.00 per 80lb bag. All the rest is in 50lb sacks.

Last edited:
We get ours made for $0.15 / lb and that is put in 50 lb bags as it's easier to take to the tractors this way. We usually get 24% protien.

For our mill it is a 500 lbs minimum.

My local feed mill set me up with a 1 ton bulk bin because the delivery guy was sick of delivering bags. Then the owner of the feed mill told me that he wouldn't put more than a month's supply in the bin. Well, funny thing is that I order about 200 pounds a month! Hardly worth the investment they put in a bin.

No relevant info, just thought I would share.

When we have our meat birds all our chickens are fed a custom mix that our local elevator Mills. If has worked great and is unmedicated. I am sure you can come up with your own mix. If I had a place to store it I wouldn't get it bagged and it could be delivered in bulk by my elevator but I don't have that luxury. Here is the formula we have used for the last 3 years.

250# Oats
300# Corn
150# Prostock

They Charged $25. for grinding and bagging
$126.23 for $700# of feed. This was in Sept. for our second batch of meat birds.

There is also a good book and it had lets call it homemade feed recipes in it. We checked it out when we first started our flock since I hadn't had chickens since I was a kid.

"Living with Chickens" by Jay Rossier.

Quote:
I did not know that you could get a bulk rate with bagged feed!

I'll be visiting my local feed mill on Saturday that I just found out about on Monday. I can't wait to find out how much I will be saving in all of my feed costs!
wee.gif

I buy by the barrel! Each weighs about 350 lbs...I got 1 each of corn, milo, and wheat...cost me about $75...some birds needed more protein so I added some cat food!

You save a little more if you have it in a bulk form instead of bag form.

For me it's a $0.01 cent difference / lb. It averages out to be about $15.00 more / 100 birds if I use bagged feed.

Back
Top Bottom