Anyone Collect Antiques? (Pics)

Quote:
Magnificent !!!
love.gif

The first book The Essays of Elia was written by Charles Lamb and published in 1823, they were compiled from the essays contributed to The London Magazine. He wrote a second compilation that was called The Last Essays of Elia and it was published in 1833 by the publisher Edward Moxon. The books were republished in America in Philidelphia in 1828.
My favorite essay is The Two Races of Men, it is in the first volumn. I have both volumns somewhere, my great Aunt gave them to me before she passed away and her son in Wales sent them to me.

The Chickens' Maid :

I collect antique weapons and books.
Right now, I only have one antique knife, but I have a lot of antique books! (Probably because the books are less expensive.
lol.png
)
Here are some pictures of the knife and one of the books:

Essays of Elia
I haven't been able to find the publisher for this book. I think it was published in the late 1800's, judging from a date written in the book (it was a gift to someone) and the make of it. It's not worth much, I think, but it's a nice little book, and it's very well made both structurally and artistically.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30030_img_0721.jpg

Here is the knife. It's an early 20 century Shona African dagger. I found a company called Oriental Arms that sells antique weapons (although I did not purchase this from them) and provides free identification for antiques like this. I found this at a yard sale for thirty dollars. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30030_smiley-talk012.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30030_img_0374.jpg

Quote:
I love the milk glass! I have a collection of them too (I use some in the bathroom on the counter to hold make up and such)

Quote:
I love the milk glass! I have a collection of them too (I use some in the bathroom on the counter to hold make up and such)

So much for not buying anymore. Was at an antique mall today and bought another bowl and S & P shakers.

Imp-
roll.png

Quote:

So much for not buying anymore. Was at an antique mall today and bought another bowl and S & P shakers.

Imp-
roll.png

Yeah, you got it bad.........
lol.png
Happy hunting!

At our house, we do mint 1950's cookie jars by Metlox.

http://www.vintage-bliss.com/Metlox-Cookie-Jars.html

Check it out. We have the flamingo, and the purple cow on the site. We also have the yellow cow. Of course, there is a rooster and a hen. I was going to sell them but now I am into chickens...well they must stay!

My mom and I collect sewing machines. We have a handcrank singer from 1890ish, a singer treadlefoot from the 1910's, a singer 15-91, and another singer (i think either a 99 or 66, can't remember right now) complete with the original stool (that was an exciting find!). Then I have a new home from the 50s, a japanese branded 15-type from the 50s, a pfaff 130, and two old whites (one is from the 20s, the other one I don't remember).

I need to compile a real list, with model numbers, years, serial numbers, all that good stuff, but i haven't had time. only a few of these machines are in working condition. others look like they'll work but i need the wiring re-done before i'll even try, and one of the whites is just pretty bad. Most machines cost under $50, or were inherited. The most expensive one was the handcrank I bought for my mom last year, I spent $200 on it. My favorite find was the pfaff 130, for $12.50 ($25 at a thrift store, white tags were half-off that day!).

I absolutely refuse to work on a newer machine. They aren't built as sturdy, they tend to be shaky, they jam up, all those electronic parts... give me a big heavy hunk of metal, and i'm happy.

Quote:
We have a 1906 Singer (worth about $50...sigh) but I will sew a straight line through pretty much anything you can fit under the foot

Back
Top Bottom