Anyone else excited for chick season? Just for fun :)

I cant wait! I have been dreaming of what my new little hatchlings will look like since I will be mixing my calico bantam roo with all of my normal sized ladies. I have a bunch of different breeds like a cream legbar, bielefelder, blue ameraucana, olive easter egger just to name a few. I will hatch them for a mid May hatch. Hopefully my little guy can do his job! He is younger than the full sized hens and mostly they chase him off and dont take him seriously so this idea may be unsuccessful!

I cant wait! I have been dreaming of what my new little hatchlings will look like since I will be mixing my calico bantam roo with all of my normal sized ladies. I have a bunch of different breeds like a cream legbar, bielefelder, blue ameraucana, olive easter egger just to name a few. I will hatch them for a mid May hatch. Hopefully my little guy can do his job! He is younger than the full sized hens and mostly they chase him off and dont take him seriously so this idea may be unsuccessful!

Good luck!!!

Well, fresh of the line, lol
B31C211F-3224-4108-BE59-1D57183A0B1F.jpeg

Getting ducklings in late may, early June. Anyone know color genetics for runners?
They’re mallard derived. This says they have a dominant gene that causes the white patches. Can be over any pattern. Autosmal, same effect hetero and homozygous forms I think.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingEend2.html?mgt=M:M+/M+&fgt=M:M+/M+

this is a calculator if you want to experiment. I’m not versed in duck genetics(only own white pekins) but I hope this is helpful.

Just ordered a Buff Orpington, Buckeye, and Easter Egger from Meyer. They will be hatching in April. I'm excited because these are all new breeds for me!

I was worried I wouldn't get them though. When I logged on just a few days after seeing all 3 breeds were pretty well stocked, all the Buckeyes were sold out until late summer and I couldn't find a hatch date that had both BOs and EEs on the same day. I was bummed and thought I'd have to pick different breeds. But then a day or two later I logged in and found a hatch date that had ONE female Buckeye chick for sale. I clicked on that date, and they had Buff Orpingtons and EEs as well on that date. That was some good luck! So if you are getting a small quantity and don't see what you want one day, check every few days/weeks. Sometimes there are cancelled orders.

Back
Top Bottom