Anyone else have chicks shipping this week?

What breeds did you go with this time?
Plymonth Barred Rocks, just think their beautiful
cool.png

Prizma don't forget about those pics. We all have insatiable baby-chick-pic appetites. Very glad to hear yours arrived safe and sound. I am interested to see PulletSurprise's new ones too. I'm hoping this installment doesn't cause her any grief.
Adenium,

After seeing prizma's very cute chick pics, I definitely will post some of our new babies. And even though I'm a big sap, I'm a guy!
lol.png
You'd never know it, but my other hobbies are all nuts and bolts stuff, and I work in a machine shop. There's just something about chickens that turns me into a softy.

I received an order from Ideal today, I ordered 3 americaunas and 5 production reds, but received an additional 7 chicks! Does anyone have a guess at what a black chick with a yellow belly and a yellow spot on the top of their head could be?

The 7 extra chickens i received look like the dark chicken above. I hope they are pullets, we are not allowed roosters, and it is much easier to find homes for extra layers. Any breed guesses would be greatly appreciated!

I was so excited to get a small order of sexed chicks including bantams. I ordered a shipment from MPC as well. They had to sub out for the frizzle. Shipped monday night, arrived at the po the next morning. Dead.

Heat pack was on top of the poor smooshed things. Only three of the vent holes were punched open. Customer service had wait times of 1-2 hours. They couldn't come up with replacement birds till several months out. Very unsatisfying conversations to be had once I'd get a person.

If I try another hatchery, is this likely to happen again? I now have a broody hen so I'd like to get her a few babies, or a few eggs.

My husband will take some convincing. He is the one who opened the box...

I was so excited to get a small order of sexed chicks including bantams. I ordered a shipment from MPC as well.  They had to sub out for the frizzle.  Shipped monday night, arrived at the po the next morning.  Dead.

Heat pack was on top of the poor smooshed things.  Only three of the vent holes were punched open.  Customer service had wait times of 1-2 hours.  They couldn't come up with replacement birds till several months out.  Very unsatisfying conversations to be had once I'd get a person.

If I try another hatchery, is this likely to happen again?  I now have a broody hen so I'd like to get her a few babies, or a few eggs.

My husband will take some convincing.  He is the one who opened the box...
I will have 6mailed in on the 19th from ideal Poultry. I will post there conditions when i see them for you.

The 7 extra chickens i received look like the dark chicken above. I hope they are pullets, we are not allowed roosters, and it is much easier to find homes for extra layers. Any breed guesses would be greatly appreciated!

I just got my shipment of a RIR, Barred Plymouth Rock and an Australorp on Tuesday from MPC... One of mine looks like the dark one and from what I can tell she's the Plymouth Rock. Congrats!
yippiechickie.gif

lil blue roo - that is awful! There is a thread here somewhere that is a running review of hatcheries, you may want to consider posting your experience to save others the same disappointment.
I have received 2 small (10 pullet) orders from cackle hatchery, the only problem being that they were 30% cockerel (oops). My most recent order was from ideal, they arrived today, twice the number of chicks that I ordered. I am afraid that they may be rock reds (barred rock /rhode island red cross) and all 7 male. As I cannot have roosters, I am hoping desperately that they are straight run barred rocks. Had i only known they would send 15, I would have ordered more pullets and paid more, it is so hard to find homes for roosters, and I cannot bear to eat them.
Overall, ideal customer service has been nice, and the chicks appear active. I will post in the hatchery forum when they reach 2 weeks old.
BTW, thanks all you lovely chicken parents for the fabulous review thread - it is how I felt comfortable ordering from ideal in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom