Anyone else have chicks shipping this week?

lil blue roux - at what age should I harvest my roosters? My understanding on the Freedom Rangers is that it takes about 3 to 3 1/2 months to get them to a good weight. The roosters that we have harvested so far were older then that... at a guess I'd say between 4 to 5 months old. Those guys needed special attention at cooking time... only roasted one and that was a mistake. Have used the crock pot on another and that turned out a bit better. How do you handle them?

I was talking about the packing peanuts. I don't have the space to grow out lots of roosters. So I'd let them get warmed, fill up on water and food, get sleepy and then dislocate their necks. I've done it a few times. It is never fun.

We've processed the few roosters that made it through the initial cull once they began crowing. I've learned that I can't eat things that have names after we tried to eat Waffles the Barred Rock. While I'm glad for the experience, the other roosters are hanging out in other people's freezers...

Someday I'd like to have meat birds. I won't be naming them, or letting them cuddle up with me. I'd like to raise a cow or two at some point though I think I might have to do that on trade - I eat my friend's cow, she eats mine.

I just placed an order with Ideal this morning. I am hoping they will ship this week... everything was supposedly available for shipping this week. I am expecting 10 CX, 10 black broilers, and 5 assorted Cornish pullets.

I've never gotten chicks in the mail. I am having them shipped to my work, which is an hour away... I figure its easy for me to run a quick errand to pick them up if I'm at the office, and inconvenient to have to drive all the way to Topeka on my day off, but better than them cooking in the post office an extra day. I will have to bring feeders and waterers to work just in case, and have a cardboard box for a makeshift brooder for the day.

I read the fine print with Ideal... it seems you can either get packing peanuts or pay for insurance. I figured I would just order extra broilers.

Technically I have an order with McMurray for the end of August but I don't think I'll need it now. I decided yesterday I couldn't wait another 6 weeks for chicks!

I ordered 20 chicks from Cackle Hatchery, they are shipping out on the 16th! I can't wait for them to get here.
Is it Tuesday yet?!?!?!?! Mine are from Meyer, and I live only 4 hours away. Mine should be here Tuesday, but I am debating just going to pick them up. The gas costs more than the shipping but I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! Especially after the horror stories, and talking to my P.O. I am afraid they will forget that they promised to call first thing. LOL! I feel like I am waiting to hear about a human baby I am adopting. I am so nervous!!!
You?
lol.png

Is it Tuesday yet?!?!?!?! Mine are from Meyer, and I live only 4 hours away. Mine should be here Tuesday, but I am debating just going to pick them up. The gas costs more than the shipping but I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! Especially after the horror stories, and talking to my P.O. I am afraid they will forget that they promised to call first thing. LOL! I feel like I am waiting to hear about a human baby I am adopting. I am so nervous!!!
You?
lol.png

I am very nervous. This is my first venture with chickens and will be calling my PO tomorrow to make sure they will call me right away no matter what time it is! Good luck with yours and post some pics when they get in.

Chicks just arrived from Ideal... all are healthy and active, thank goodness!  And NO packing peanuts!!! Yea!!! Those golden laced polish chicks are so cute! Now I need to figure out the difference between the black broiler and the black sex link.  :)

Ooooooooo,gosh they are BEAUTIFUL, so glad they arrived in good heath :D

Is it Tuesday yet?!?!?!?! Mine are from Meyer, and I live only 4 hours away. Mine should be here Tuesday, but I am debating just going to pick them up. The gas costs more than the shipping but I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! Especially after the horror stories, and talking to my P.O. I am afraid they will forget that they promised to call first thing. LOL! I feel like I am waiting to hear about a human baby I am adopting. I am so nervous!!!
You? :lol:
sounds like you need to take a family trip to the hatchery! !!:p

We ordered some chicks from my pet chicken and all eleven of them arrived last Tuesday afternoon in perfect condition. They are still all very healthy and are incredibly sweet. It was our first chick order from them but I would definitely order again!

We ordered some chicks from my pet chicken and all eleven of them arrived last Tuesday afternoon in perfect condition. They are still all very healthy and are incredibly sweet. It was our first chick order from them but I would definitely order again!
gezz,gezz so AWSOME be glad when ours get here the 19.

We ordered some chicks from my pet chicken and all eleven of them arrived last Tuesday afternoon in perfect condition. They are still all very healthy and are incredibly sweet. It was our first chick order from them but I would definitely order again!

Hey that is the exact same box setup / straw and top we got our chicks in-- ours came from (California Hatchery) I know MPC sources chicks from other Hatcheries-- ours were really good too-- the hatch time and date should be right on top next to the postage stickers-- I would be curious to see if they came from California Hatchery?....

Back
Top Bottom