Anyone else have chicks shipping this week?

Aww... I think as long as kids are gentle, it's good for them to be handled by children. As far as I can tell, it makes them bombproof! How many do you have? Our JG is so nice and seems pretty fearless so far. We have a good variety of breeds as we simply could not choose, but we would definitely choose the JG's again. These are our first day olds and it seems to make a difference to get them so young. We've had 4-6 weeks olds that took a little while to trust, 1 week olds and now these little ones. The older chicks are Ameraucanas, Polish, several varieties of Marans, and the little ones are Buff Orp, JG, Australorp, Barred and White Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Mille Fleur d'Uccle, Welsummer, Buff laced Polish, White crested black Polish as well as a Rhode Island Red that was included with an assortment. While I would not have chosen the RIR, she is a friendly, sweet girl and we like her. I am awaiting some Swedish Flower Hens this week and am so darned excited that I can hardly contain myself!
wee.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif

Chicken math has literally taken over my life! My husband is truly a saint.......
bow.gif

We still have the shipping box but I did not see any address besides the CT one for MPC on it. I looked it over completely and maybe I missed it but I swear I don't see it!
hu.gif

Here are our newest MPC chicks in their new brooder. It amazes me how unique each breed and actually each chick really is. I love having chickens!!
celebrate.gif

Newbies that we were, we went overboard and got 6 from CL and then ordered 15 female chicks(free shipping at 15 chicks) because the guy from Craigslist took his time answering, so ended up with 21 now 19(dog)-- all Jersey Giants! Would love to hear how your breeds develop and what their different characteristics are... I guess I wanted to hatch out my own full breed chicks eventually and will keep a Roo from the small Craigslist set as a Breeder (am pretty sure my favorite one is a Roo-- the first set are 4.5 weeks old now)....

wee.gif
MY BABIES ARE HERE!!!!
celebrate.gif

All 21 Chicks from Cackle Hatchery arrived today in perfect health! It has been an interesting morning...My sons birthday is today. Got the call at 8:20am the chicks were at the PO ready to be picked up, get my son and my friends daughter (I'm the babysitter) ready to go, walk out the door to leave and one of my cows is in the front yard!
he.gif
Some how the pasture gate was open and the cow was munching on the grass under the fruit trees. Took 15 minutes to get both cows (the other one came out while I was calling the first one back to the pasture with the grain can) back in the pasture. Not sure how long the gate was open, but thank goodness they didn't leave the yard. Our house is at the front of the property and the pasture at the back. But we are all home now safe and sound and cheeping away!
They are gorgeous! Congratulations!!
thumbsup.gif

:weee MY BABIES ARE HERE!!!!:celebrate
All 21 Chicks from Cackle Hatchery arrived today in perfect health! It has been an interesting morning...My sons birthday is today. Got the call at 8:20am the chicks were at the PO ready to be picked up, get my son and my friends daughter (I'm the babysitter) ready to go, walk out the door to leave and one of my cows is in the front yard!:he   Some how the pasture gate was open and the cow was munching on the grass under the fruit trees. Took 15 minutes to get both cows (the other one came out while I was calling the first one back to the pasture with the grain can) back in the pasture. Not sure how long the gate was open, but thank goodness they didn't leave the yard. Our house is at the front of the property and the pasture at the back. But we are all home now safe and sound and cheeping away!
congratulations! !!! :)

Newbies that we were, we went overboard and got 6 from CL and then ordered 15 female chicks(free shipping at 15 chicks) because the guy from Craigslist took his time answering, so ended up with 21 now 19(dog)-- all Jersey Giants! Would love to hear how your breeds develop and what their different characteristics are... I guess I wanted to hatch out my own full breed chicks eventually and will keep a Roo from the small Craigslist set as a Breeder (am pretty sure my favorite one is a Roo-- the first set are 4.5 weeks old now)....
I lost a post trying to reply. Not sure what happened!

I am right there with you on the chicken math. We got our start on CL too and wound up with 4 maybe 5 roosters when we thought we had all pullets. One crowed last week and I froze, shaking my head, "nooooo".......
th.gif
It was the most pathetic sound ever! We thought there was someone outside hurt!
lau.gif

Now looking back, I probably should have known by body language that they were boys, at least two of them. The silver ameraucanas are really mellow. Someone has to be in charge! lol I really am looking forward to watching them develop, especially the different breeds. The mille fleur d'uccle is a love bug and she likes to sit in our cupped palm and snuggle. She's a dainty little thing and her feather legs are so cute. The polish really don't look like chickens to me though. They're hilarious!

Are the JG easy to sex? Are the roosters significantly larger than the pullets? I'd love to hear more!
pop.gif

I lost a post trying to reply. Not sure what happened!

I am right there with you on the chicken math. We got our start on CL too and wound up with 4 maybe 5 roosters when we thought we had all pullets. One crowed last week and I froze, shaking my head, "nooooo".......
th.gif
It was the most pathetic sound ever! We thought there was someone outside hurt!
lau.gif

Now looking back, I probably should have known by body language that they were boys, at least two of them. The silver ameraucanas are really mellow. Someone has to be in charge! lol I really am looking forward to watching them develop, especially the different breeds. The mille fleur d'uccle is a love bug and she likes to sit in our cupped palm and snuggle. She's a dainty little thing and her feather legs are so cute. The polish really don't look like chickens to me though. They're hilarious!

Are the JG easy to sex? Are the roosters significantly larger than the pullets? I'd love to hear more!
pop.gif

Our first time ever with chickens! but, out of the 4 remaining CL birds-- one is much larger than the other 3 (but 2 are a week younger... so dont know for sure) and has red coming in under his chin and a large reddish comb... I am pretty sure he is a Roo.... The chicks we ordered as females all though I know sexing isnt exact even for a Hatchery... but with 19 birds we probably could absorb 2 Roos at least....The 15 chicks are only 8 days old so... too soon to tell....

I ordered 4 new babies from Meyer Hatchery to add to our flock that we started May 2012. They were supposed to be here July 10 by 3 pm. They didn't arrive as promised. I was almost frantic with worry! We received a call from the post office at 5 am this morning, July 11 To pick them up, we ran right over there. Unfortunately, 3 of our 4 girls had died. I'm so mad at the post office; they rerouted them leaving them sit at the post office in Ohio for 24 hours. Good news is our little survivor, Gloria (named after Gloria Gaynor, she sang 'I will sruvive') is doing really good. Meyer is sending us new chicks next week...... Hopefully I'll have a much happier tale next week!
I am happy, no..... VERY happy
yippiechickie.gif
, to report that our second shipment of chicks arrived on Tuesday healthy and perfect! Gloria, our lone survivor from last week is doing well; she happily accepted her new brooding mates. Everyone is getting along fine.

Got a email the 17@6:00pm saying our chicks were ship that day, was supposed to be shipped on the 18th,now it's the 19th and still no chicks, we are very discouraged right now with IDEAL POULTRY! !!!:(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom