1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else love the movie Fly Away Home?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sumatra503, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Fly Away Home has always been my favorite movie. I used to watch it every day as a kid and I finally found it again at Good Will for $1.50. I love this movie. For some reason I always cry when i watch it, though.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I love that movie!
    I get weepy when she and her geese fly over the last sand dune in North Carolina.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Awesome movie, me and her share the same name which I thought was the coolest thing when I was younger

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I LOVE that movie!!! [​IMG] The whole story is so touching (it's based on a true story, BTW), and I also love the music! Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to, whether or not you love geese!

5. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Knowing it was based on a true story I've been trying to apply the same concept to rare birds in need of new nesting grounds and things like that.

Since no Biologist anywhere would allow a person to raise such a rare bird and have it imprint on them. They don't like these birds to imprint on humans at all.

My plan involved an RC plane that was shaped like a bird and made bird sounds. The birds would be raised with a model of the plane that would move a bit and call to them. This way the birds would imprint on what they believe is a bird. Only catch is that the plane would have to fly a long ways each day and would have to fly about a mile away from the person flying it.

I came up with that when I was younger. It's how into the whole thing I was and still am.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I've never seen it... Its on my list. [​IMG]
    Wonder if Netflix has it?

7. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Quote:Are there movies Netflix doesn't have? It's even available for instant viewing on your computer.

8. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Wish i had Netflix. I'm still using a VHS Player for my copy.

9. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Based on William Lishman. He flew a flock of Canada Geese from Ontario to North Carolina in the Easy Rider, his ultra light plane. It looks a lot like the plane Amy's Dad has in the movie. The goose plane is a prototype of his I believe.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    LOVED it as a kid, was a childhood movie. . . Haven't seen it since though. Really should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by