Anyone get migraines?

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
I had one today. I have had them since I was a teenager. First, my vision goes crazy and usually makes me sick to my stomach. Then the headache starts, usually behind one of my eyes. It hurts so bad I want to cut my head off, well not really, but it does hurt.

Does anyone have anything that they do that relieves this pain? I have two children and have to be able to function to care for them. My DH is on nights right now, or he would have gladly played with the kids while I knocked myself out. I was just wondering if anyone had a miracle cure for theirs.
roll.png

Sorry, but i have nothing to offer but sympathy.

I get them from time to time too.

It starts with a little blurry vision, then the hurting behind the eye, just one eye, and light and noise only intensifies the darn thing.

My only remedy is ibuprofin (if taken at the first indication), lay down in a dark room and bury head in a pillow.

Oh my gosh...can I relate! I get really bad migraines as well. Mine are generally atmospheric pressure related. I know it sounds weird, but it was explained to my by my neurologist a few years back and is actually in the medical dictionary as a trigger. I guess it is a pretty common cause too. I haven't found anything that works for mine other than strong hot coffee. My doctor explained that, assuming the patient isn't caffeine sensitive, the caffeine dilates the blood vessels, which reduces the pressure. My mom also uses pepsi instead of coffee, but for me personally, I prefer hot temperatures. Also, hot peppermint tea helps...why I have no idea. I was toldthat a while back and it helps to take the edge off. Aside from that...especially when my stomach is upset...a heating pad on my neck or a hot shower with it beating on my neck helps (once my migraine gets full-fledged, the pain goes from my temples to the bottom back of my skull). Not sure if these will help you , but they do it for me and my family. At least to take that edge off. Some friends of mine use Imitrex (which doesn't work for me) and love it...one has a prescription painkiller with codeine in it and he loves it. Good luck!

I took 3 ibuprofen at first signs of vision problems, didn't even touch the pain. Like I said, if my DH could have watched the kiddos, I would have just taken something to put me to sleep for a while. I don't wish those things on anyone, they are terrible. Now, I feel like I have some kind of brain injury, my head hurts to bend over, and I just feel slow. Well, slower.......
wink.png

The funny thing is I was drinking my morning coffee when it came on. I had Chinese food yesterday, I'm sure full of MSG, that is a trigger. I have never had one after Chinese food though. My mom gets them terribly. She can't have any dairy after 4PM or she will be up with a migraine. I guess I am just getting older (35) and I'm just no spring chicken anymore.
lol.png

I felt so bad because I was hurting so bad and my 6 yr old son and 2 yr old daughter were just looking at me like what is wrong with you woman. My DS is such a sweetheart he took good care of his baby sis.

I should go back to the chiropractor (sp) my insurance does cover it, it's just finding the time.

Last edited:
I have debilitating migraines and the only thing that has ever offered relief is Maxalt. A lot of people think caffiene exacerbates migraines but in many instances it helps them. I drink a couple of heavy cups of coffee a day or I will bring one on myself. I used to take a caffiene pill that was prescribed but it made me jittery.
Depending on the type of migraine a frozen bag of peas and a dark, quiet room can really offer a lot of relief.
Have you talked to a doctor to have them diagnosed? Cluster headaches can react like a migraine but come in very painful spurts and groups over several hours.
K

Be carefull of how much medication you take. It may help right then but it can cause your headache to come back with a vengance when it wears off. Try the chiropracor also. I know it helps with mine. I have a hip that goes out and then it throws everything else out all the way up to my neck and it causes some of my migraines. I also get migrains around that time of the month that are caused by hormone changes.

Some of my migraines start with the vision issue. Those are not that bad (for a migraine). The others will start with tingling in my fingers and then my hand will go numb. The numbness works up my arm sometimes half my face will even go numb. It only happens on one side. Then the solars hit (the vision issue). The second ones send me to the E.R. Demeral/phenagen(sp?) works wonders. For the first kind I get out the icepack and go lay in a dark quiet room.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom