Anyone have budgies

I have allot of budgies I think they make great pets.
smile.png

Budgies are fun little birds who come an array of colors. With patience they can be tamed and some learn how to talk, but the voice is usually whispery. They are well tolerated in apartments as they are not very noisy, and do not disturb the neighbors like larger parrots can. The diet is simple and easy to manage. They do well on veggies, bean sprouts and seeds. They like to chew on cuttle bones and rope. They are prone to obesity due to lack of exercse and a seed-only diet.

I recommend getting the largest cage you can afford, give them lots of toys, and a varied diet. Most well-cared for parakeets can live as long as 15 years. Maybe 20!

I have 2 english budgies, and 4 normal parakeets of a variety of colors.
I do need to get them a bigger cage but they are a fun bunch.
We don't let them breed. BUT when we get a bigger cage next year we will.
They are pretty easy to finger tame, but not all do well with it.
Get a young one, and work with it.

Carol

I have two pair of grown ones and two pair of half grown ones. They are American parakeets. I have three pair in a huge cage hanging outside in an arbor for the summer. They are so fun to hear and see outside. I will have to bring them back in when it gets cooler. The other pair are in Abreeding cage and the hen is sitting on eggs!

Love my lil poopmaker he is very pretty - but boring. My last one would sit with me in the morning and have coffee and toast with me. This new one HATES to be handled and doesn't like anything other than his seed no matter what we try and has no interest in any toys. He is however a free range bird (just like the last one). He has a small cage that I leave the top off of, I placed the cage on a table in front of my living room window which overlooks my birdfeeder. I have fashioned tree branches in it so he can watch the birds in the feeder. He sits and happily twitters along all day, on occasion he will fly about the room but always goes back to his "tree" by the window and his "friends" He has learned to talk robin, cardinal, sparrow, titmouse etc and sings along with my son's video games. If you want one that likes to be handled, find a breeder.

I've had budgies for 20 years, & have to say they are colorful little bundles of energy with sch wonderfully contrasting personalities. I have raised many of them and currently have four I handreared myself, never a dull moment! Orson helps me feed his buddies & quail, even helps me draw, lol. I just adore budgies.

I have one, and she is loud! You may want to put a blanket over the cage at night to keep her more quiet.

Mine hates being handled. I stilltry to get her out even though she pecks away at my hands. All of them are different I guess. She loves music, the sound of birds, hair dryer, and vaccum. I have bought like a million toys for her but she doesn't touch them... I do hand feed her when I get her out, but then she poops all over the floor. She does sit on my finger when she is out and when I put her on the ground she climbs up my shirt and goes on my shoulder. She doesn't like being handled much either. I have tried to teach her words, but still doesn't talk. She is a little boring, now that I think of it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom