Anyone have new chicks coming?

Awesome - I got a call at 1:30pm yesterday to grab them - they were home and unpacked by 1:45
wee.gif

All were alert, responsive, ate and drank (I showed them where it was and they were all like "ok we got this" right away). No pasty butt, they all seem to be doing well. My Polish chick last night freaked me out a little - her crop was so full it had bare spots on it - it was so enlarged it was spreading the fuzz out away from her skin! (At least I hope that's what it was... she's still alive this morning so I'm hoping it's nothing dramatic).

Overall, I have an EE banatm, a full size Easter Egger, a Columbian Wyandotte, a black crested polish, and 2 "assorted feather legged bantams" (one of which is clearly a white silkie, and the other I believe is a buff brahama bantam). They were all alive this morning when I just checked on them - so I'm hopeful I'll be a success story!

I picked up my last batch of chicks for the season yesterday from Myer Hatchery, 3 EE's 3 Favorelles, 2 Buckeyes, 3 Light Brahmas, and ended up getting 2 turkeys too! All are doing great this morning even though I was worried about 1 with a splayed leg yesterday. Seems like she is doing fine today, getting around with no problems! I have been waiting for the favorelles for what seems like forever!! I am so glad they are here and safe!

Good luck with all of your chickies too!!

My first chicks come 6/12 and I too am nervous. Also bid on some hatching eggs and they arrive tomorrow. Incubator is all set up and ready. I don't think I would have ventured into my dream of a hobby farm if it wasn't for this site! I have learnedly so much...

glad yours are doing well, I lost one of the columbian wyandottes:( She was pretty out of it when I got them, dn't know if the others trampled her, she was awfully small..did what I could but it didn't help:(

The other 9 are full of it, racing around, jumping ontop of the brinsea heater already! no pasty butts yet,very cute:))

I bought mine locally off a farm in RI. I have 6 total and so far so good. I've ordered in the past from McMurray and Ideal.. oh going back 8 years or so.. Always did fine. I wonder if it's stress from shipping that causes loss?

Jakoda.. do you have pics up yet? Megs are you in Boston? I'm in SE Mass.. right near the RI border
smile.png

Nancie

TO JLM72 -

I am in Newton - I can have pullets only, and it was a YEAR of navigating the local town hall to make it happen.

I have a friend who has a flock and was replenishing, she order a batch so I got 4 from her. They were from McMurray Hatchery. Chicks are GORGEOUS - no health issues. Of course I couldnt leave well enough alone, and now I have a ROO who must gooooooooo. :(

LOL it's tough.. In my town I am zoned rural residential. When I called the building inspector to find out if I was ok for hens only (didn't even consider a roo as the houses in my neighborhood are close together).. He told me I could have a few hens as pets providing I kept their living arrangements clean and there was no smell. He is a sweetheart of a guy who said.. It's a gray area.. but if your neighbors complain I won't do anything about it. Most of my neighbors know we are zoned rural residential.. and don't really know what that means. It's gotten a lot stricter over the years, but they haven't addressed the concept of backyard chickens, so my building inspector is just going to let it go....

I'm still nervous.. it's why we are making our coop/shed so adorable.. so the neighbors can't complain because it's definitely asthetically pleasing...

Heck looks nicer than some of my neighbors garages and sheds.. that's for sure!!

Nancie

Woopsie - I think my silkie chick is getting pasty butt. Gonna have to keep an eye on her - and the Polish which seems ok - but not as clean as the other butts in there... Now I can just worry about this for a while huh? LOL How often do you have to check/clean the little critters if they're pasting up a little?

Back
Top Bottom