Anyone into Artisan and No Knead Breads?

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
I love crusty, chewy breads. So, I'm perfecting artisan and no knead recipes.

Took 2 loaves to get this one right. Made one yesterday, got too dark. DH & I ate it anyway, and even too dark it was fabulous. We ate the entire loaf in 24 hours!

Artisan Beer Bread

bread_art_beer.jpg

I have a pumpernickel dough in the refrigerator now.
smile.png

Sure, I found it here:
http://sundayhotpants.nocturne.net.nz/post/1007756098/no-knead-beer-bread

And a couple modifications....

- It burned using the shortest time listed. And it wasn't my oven. To be sure, I put an oven thermometer in there after the burnt loaf. The oven temp was dead on the money. I reduced the first bake time (lid on) to 25 minutes, then reduced the second time (lid off) to 10 minutes. That was a total 15-20 minutes less than written.

- I baked it in a crockpot insert. My dutch oven is a different size. The insert was closer to the recommended size.

I have an old bean pot crock that I got for .25 at a yard sale to cook my breads in and I love it!!! I haven't had time to bake any breads lately, but during the cold weather I like to keep the stove on cooking whatever I have time to whip together.

I love the crusty bread dipped in olive oil and Parmesan cheese! My daughter (who is 21) begs me to make bread just to dip.

KIM, YOU GO GIRL!
droolin.gif

I love making artisan bread. I too needed to adjust a few things to get it just right. My latest bread though has been no-knead bread. I just mix flour, water, salt, and yeast together and the next day it makes the best bread I have ever made according to DH. I prefer to make a standard looking loaf, over a round loaf. It is easier to make sandwiches, and get into the toaster.

The recipes that I use is

13 cups of flour
6 cups of warm water
3 tbs of salt
3 tbs of yeast

I then let the container
(I use a large plastic storage box, like a big shoe box)
sit on the counter for a couple of hours
(This allows is to rise) The lid should not be air tight.
I then put the box with the top on it into the refrigerator.
The next day I take out a chunk and without a lot of fuss
I form a loaf into a loaf pan.
It will take a few hours to rise
I bake it at about 425 for between 35 to 45 minutes.
I often put another pan in the oven and put about 2 cups of

I have omitted the dutch oven. I haven't found a pan that has a lid and will hold a loaf pan.
hot water in it during the baking. I pre-heat that pan so it steams.

Quote:
What did you cover it with? My crock pot has a plastic lid.
sad.png

JoJo - I used a stainless steel lid from a stock pot. It covered the insert, although it wasn't a perfect fit (too big). And I've also used Pyrex glass lids.

Aukuma - don't you just love those yardsale finds! I have lots of great cooking stuff from yardsales and thrift stores.

Justbugged - thanks for sharing! The Artisan Bread in 5 Min a Day recipes use that steaming method. It does make a lovely crisp crust.

I have a Pumpernickel dough in the refrig now. It can be kept for up to 8 days. I'm going to bake the loaves Fri. If it works out, I'm planning to sell it at the farmers market on Sat - and I'll post the recipe.

Last edited:
OK...not happy with the pumpernickel recipe and can't recommend it.. It tastes fine, but did not rise well. Ended up being a kind of flattish ugly little loaf. LOL

I'm looking for another recipe for an artisan or no knead pumpernickel. Trying a Multigrain recipe in the meantime. Will post how that one turns out in a couple days....with a pic if it's nice.

I baked the Artisan Beer Bread above twice more this week....for orders. It turned out lovely and the two customers were thrilled!

I made Pumpernickel last week, and it was flat and unattractive. The taste and crumb were good, and it worked out fine with the bean soup that I made. It just wasn't visually appealing.

I also like the Artisan and no-knead breads. It comes out very similar to the Ciabatta I buy at Balthazar Bakery.

I checked out a book from the library that's all no-knead and Artisan. I don't remember the title off-hand (the book's in the car LOL).

The book is My Bread, by Jim Lahey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom