1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone into Artisan and No Knead Breads?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Kim_NC, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I love crusty, chewy breads. So, I'm perfecting artisan and no knead recipes.

Took 2 loaves to get this one right. Made one yesterday, got too dark. DH & I ate it anyway, and even too dark it was fabulous. We ate the entire loaf in 24 hours!

Artisan Beer Bread

[​IMG]

I have a pumpernickel dough in the refrigerator now. [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Gorgeous! Are you going to share the recipe with us?!

3. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Sure, I found it here:
    http://sundayhotpants.nocturne.net.nz/post/1007756098/no-knead-beer-bread

And a couple modifications....

- It burned using the shortest time listed. And it wasn't my oven. To be sure, I put an oven thermometer in there after the burnt loaf. The oven temp was dead on the money. I reduced the first bake time (lid on) to 25 minutes, then reduced the second time (lid off) to 10 minutes. That was a total 15-20 minutes less than written.

- I baked it in a crockpot insert. My dutch oven is a different size. The insert was closer to the recommended size.

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Quote:What did you cover it with? My crock pot has a plastic lid. [​IMG]

5. aukuma

aukuma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    I have an old bean pot crock that I got for .25 at a yard sale to cook my breads in and I love it!!! I haven't had time to bake any breads lately, but during the cold weather I like to keep the stove on cooking whatever I have time to whip together.

I love the crusty bread dipped in olive oil and Parmesan cheese! My daughter (who is 21) begs me to make bread just to dip.

KIM, YOU GO GIRL! [​IMG]

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I love making artisan bread. I too needed to adjust a few things to get it just right. My latest bread though has been no-knead bread. I just mix flour, water, salt, and yeast together and the next day it makes the best bread I have ever made according to DH. I prefer to make a standard looking loaf, over a round loaf. It is easier to make sandwiches, and get into the toaster.

The recipes that I use is

13 cups of flour
    6 cups of warm water
    3 tbs of salt
    3 tbs of yeast

I then let the container
    (I use a large plastic storage box, like a big shoe box)
    sit on the counter for a couple of hours
    (This allows is to rise) The lid should not be air tight.
    I then put the box with the top on it into the refrigerator.
    The next day I take out a chunk and without a lot of fuss
    I form a loaf into a loaf pan.
    It will take a few hours to rise
    I bake it at about 425 for between 35 to 45 minutes.
    I often put another pan in the oven and put about 2 cups of

I have omitted the dutch oven. I haven't found a pan that has a lid and will hold a loaf pan.
    hot water in it during the baking. I pre-heat that pan so it steams.

7. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:What did you cover it with? My crock pot has a plastic lid. [​IMG]

JoJo - I used a stainless steel lid from a stock pot. It covered the insert, although it wasn't a perfect fit (too big). And I've also used Pyrex glass lids.

Aukuma - don't you just love those yardsale finds! I have lots of great cooking stuff from yardsales and thrift stores.

Justbugged - thanks for sharing! The Artisan Bread in 5 Min a Day recipes use that steaming method. It does make a lovely crisp crust.

I have a Pumpernickel dough in the refrig now. It can be kept for up to 8 days. I'm going to bake the loaves Fri. If it works out, I'm planning to sell it at the farmers market on Sat - and I'll post the recipe.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  8. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    OK...not happy with the pumpernickel recipe and can't recommend it.. It tastes fine, but did not rise well. Ended up being a kind of flattish ugly little loaf. LOL

I'm looking for another recipe for an artisan or no knead pumpernickel. Trying a Multigrain recipe in the meantime. Will post how that one turns out in a couple days....with a pic if it's nice.

I baked the Artisan Beer Bread above twice more this week....for orders. It turned out lovely and the two customers were thrilled!

9. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
  10. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I made Pumpernickel last week, and it was flat and unattractive. The taste and crumb were good, and it worked out fine with the bean soup that I made. It just wasn't visually appealing.

I also like the Artisan and no-knead breads. It comes out very similar to the Ciabatta I buy at Balthazar Bakery.

I checked out a book from the library that's all no-knead and Artisan. I don't remember the title off-hand (the book's in the car LOL).

The book is My Bread, by Jim Lahey.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by