Anyone mechanically inclined? S10 Blazer no start...

i have a 94 s-10 and i have to replace the fuel pump this weekend. if its not cranking over fast enough it will not fire with starting fluid. been there done that. also my 94 S-10 4.3 V6 is TBI...

It's turning over about normal speed... Tomorrow it's supposed to get up in the 20's, Sunday almost to 30. Hopefully if it's something frozen it'll thaw enough to get her home and stuffed into the garage. Tows up here are horribly expensive any more. My son got into a fender bender, then his truck wouldn't start. We had it towed home (all of six miles) and it was almost $300. ($291.75 to be exact).

You know, when I got my '93, I never heard the fuel pump. She had 119k on her when I bought her in 1999. At about 250k the fuel pump went out, 275k we replaced the engine, and about a year after we replaced the engine we replaced the original equipment battery. That battery was manufactored in 1987, put in a 1993 vehicle, and finally gave out in 2009. Up here we have what is considered 'severe use'. I could plug in the block heater at home but not at work. She would sit out all day in temp in the -20F range and always started. Of course, at those temps it drives like the gear boxes are filled with grease... I was hoping this one would be as dependable.

IF it seems to be running on fewer cylinders...perhaps one froze-up and cracked. IF your exhaust is WHITE SMOKE rather than the typical grayish white and there is a LOT of it....it is burning anti-freeze..............."cracked block". That is not unusual in Cold Weather.

-Junkmanme-

The exhaust actually looks like it's burning a bit of oil, and when it gets really cold out ALL vehicles up here blow a lot of white smoke. Moisture in the exhaust hitting sub zero temps does that. You will actually see water dripping from tail pipes. It's not running on fewer cylinders, it isn't running at all. It sounds like it wants to start, just that sound like they make right before they catch then nothing.

Interesting. Ive never not got any codes....
I guess go back to basics an check for spark.

Yes I love my duster..
Also put a link to a video of me destroying a suburban in the last post

Somehow I missed the link... remind me to not let you drive my truck, I like it
wink.png
That does look like fun, though.

Frosty,
I HOPE you don't have a "cracked block". BIG TROUBLE.

You probably won't know until you can get it home into a Garage where you can work on it.

We have plenty of COLD here at 6500 ft. elevation in northern New Mexico.

You MIGHT want to check your Anti-Freeze with a Hygrometer to see what temperature it is good to. You can do that without moving the car home.

GOOD LUCK !!!
-Junkmanme-

Frosty,
ANOTHER THING you might want to do is to get a compression-tester and check the compression on each cylinder. That will probably tell you if a cylinder (or head) is cracked....or if you have a blown head-gasket.

-Junkmanme-

Frosty,
I HOPE you don't have a "cracked block". BIG TROUBLE.

You probably won't know until you can get it home into a Garage where you can work on it.

We have plenty of COLD here at 6500 ft. elevation in northern New Mexico.

You MIGHT want to check your Anti-Freeze with a Hygrometer to see what temperature it is good to. You can do that without moving the car home.

GOOD LUCK !!!
-Junkmanme-

Antifreeze was checked when we bought it, before the temps dumped. It was good to -7F so we changed it out. We run a 70/30 blend. The vehicle ran 'normal' (apparently had power problems, DD mentioned it but didn't say how bad it was) when she drove to work, she parked it, then after work it wouldn't start. Since it was -17F that day, I really hope something froze and will thaw. Then I can get it home to figure out the power issue. I really wish my husband would help more trying to figure this out... my mechanical experience is more on aircraft. I love tinkering with vehicles but am not an expert by any means.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom