Anyone use Shake n'Bake?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have already admitted that I am in my 40's... That said, I remember back in the 80's using Shake n'Bake for a quick fix for dinner. Maybe I am getting senile, but seems to me that it actually came out crispy back then. Now it seems that any coating that I use ends up soggy. Is it just me? I actually do have a theory for it... I think it's the 'added solution' in the meats. They sometimes sell chicken that is up to 12% solution. So we are paying the price per pound of meat for the solution, too. Maybe I should raise my own beef and pork, too. I am just hesitant because I have small acreage so could only have a few and I worry that I will see them as pets. I'm thinking about using one of my chickens with the Shake n'Bake to see if it's like I remember, just hate to do that to one of my birds. (sigh...)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use Shake n Bake all the time (and I wish I was 40...I think). Mine turns out nice and crispy. Theres even a Shake and Bake that is Extra Crispy.

Love it with chicken strips, yummy and easy meal.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree with you about the added liquid. I oven fry chicken all the time and it is crispy. I do it at 425 for about an hour, turning the pieces at 30 minutes; usually I do legs or thighs. For the shake and bake I use whole wheat flour, sometimes plain, sometimes with a few spices randomly added to the bag of flour. It's the only place I prefer whole wheat, by the way; adds a bit of sweetness or nuttiness to the coating. After I wash the (store bought) chicken, I dry it as well as I can with paper towels or a tea towel.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I have the same problem! I thought my poor results was due to my cruddy culinary skills (don't ask me to boil water), but maybe not!

So, maybe it IS the oven's fault! (That's what I tell my hubby).

5. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Just FYI - Not to be a buzz kill or anything, but i would like to let you know that "shake and bake" is also a type of meth manufacture that is searched for by meth makers on the internet for new recipes.

I myself love the cooking shake and bake mixture, I have tried to duplicate the recipe, but after much experimentation, I just go back to the box!

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i love shake n' bake!!!!! [​IMG]

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I do sometimes. DH likes "fried" chicken, but if I look at a piece I gain ten pounds. So, shake n' bake is kind of a happy medium.

8. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Stuff like that, is why we are an obese nation....There are probably 10 more ingredients in it, than need to be, to get the job done....I refuse to buy junk like that.

9. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    My mom puts shake n bake on our pork chops its crispy.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My shake and bake is flour, poultry seasoning, celery salt, sage and seasoned salt in a bag. Dip the chicken in egg and then shake it and bake it. Much cheaper too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by