Anyone want to play guess that chick?

Indigopearl

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2023
Janesville, WI
I have 4 chicks that are 2w 2d old from what I believe to be a cream legbar roo and for sure buff orpington hen. I do know there's no real way to tell at this point but I enjoy guessing and since these are my first chicks ever, thought I'd enlist some more experienced guessers to play along! My friend who got the rooster from another friend and wasn’t sure what breed but I believe he’s a CCL (see first pic).

#1 is by far the most assertive and adventurous chick. (S)he was jumping out of their bin when I came to change the water or whatever several days before the others. A bold hen or a roo?

#2 has been our least adventurous chick and stayed fluffy the longest but is the quickest at catching bugs.

#3 we call Mezzo because (s)he is medium in every way. But (s)he and #1 are the most likely to be play fighting. I also noticed more comb on this one.

#4 has the least amount of comb so far and is fairly assertive but not usually picking a fight. (S)he is my favorite with that gorgeous eye liner. We called him/her chipmunk at first because (s)he had very pronounced striped.
IMG_0294.jpeg
IMG_5233.jpeg
IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5213.jpeg
IMG_5232.jpeg
IMG_5215.jpeg
IMG_5234.jpeg
IMG_5227.jpeg
IMG_5229.jpeg
IMG_5231.jpeg
IMG_5226.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpeg
IMG_5223.jpeg
IMG_5222.jpeg

1. Cockerel.
2. Cockerel.
3. Cockerel.
4. Pullet.

Also, what do you mean when you say #3 and #1 are the most likely to be play-fighting?
Play fighting like where they fly at each other and chest bump. They all do it to some degree but those two are the most likely to start it. Thank you- I will be happy even if only one is a hen if it is my little Sparrow, #4. Though my daughter really wants to keep #2 so she'll be hoping you're wrong on that one, lol.

My guess right now is that 1 and 4 are the pullets, but waiting until 6 weeks will give a more accurate assessment.

Genetically, I think the Legbar would have to be a mix with something else to produce chicks with the coloring of #1 and #2. Or they have a different father.
It is definitely possible the rooster is a mix with something else. My friend had no idea what he was and I only got cream legbar based on looking at lots of different rooster pics and guessing based on appearance. Although, another post on here had Legbar/B.O. cross chicks and some of the chicks looked a lot like these yellow guys- very b. orpingtonish.

Last edited:
Play fighting like where they fly at each other and chest bump. They all do it to some degree but those two are the most likely to start it. Thank you- I will be happy even if only one is a hen if it is my little Sparrow, #4. Though my daughter really wants to keep #2 so she'll be hoping you're wrong on that one, lol.
I thought you meant real play-fighting at first, which birds definitely don't do. Thanks for clearing that up!

The first three that I listed as cockerels are very suspicious, with their large comb growth for such a young age. Let's hope that they are only fast-maturing pullets that look like cockerels, even if that will most likely not be the case.

I thought you meant real play-fighting at first, which birds definitely don't do. Thanks for clearing that up!

The first three that I listed as cockerels are very suspicious, with their large comb growth for such a young age. Let's hope that they are only fast-maturing pullets that look like cockerels, even if that will most likely not be the case.
Yes, thank you! I’ll get some more pics in a week or two and see if it’s confirming or not so much.

So, at 5 weeks, 2 days, I feel like I can say pretty confidently that you guys who said all cockerels except #4 were right! #2 has been trying to crow (a bit pathetically but still). And I swear #3 does everything possible to get Sparrow (#4) on an end of the roost so he can be the only one to snuggle up to her. And then he pecks at the other ones if they come near. Here are some updated pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_5693.jpeg
    IMG_5693.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5683.jpeg
    IMG_5683.jpeg
    910.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5701.jpeg
    IMG_5701.jpeg