Anything i can give a weak chick

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
Anything i can give a weak chick that has been treated for coccodia since ladt Monday she isnt eating today gave her gatorade and honey with an eyedropper.
Has been in corid solution a week tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm going to appear to be interrogating you, but we need much more information if we're going to try to help this chick.

What have you been feeding it?

Is the chick getting grit for digestion?

Is the chick still in the brooder and under heat?

If so, size of brooder and number of chicks?

How long has this chick been "weak"?

What does its poop look like?

Has the chick been on local soil, allowed to scratch around outside?

Is this chick under size compared to the others?

Please answer each question as these will provide important clues as to what may be going on.

Thank you. I'm going to appear to be interrogating you, but we need much more information if we're going to try to help this chick.

What have you been feeding it?

Is the chick getting grit for digestion?

Is the chick still in the brooder and under heat?

If so, size of brooder and number of chicks?

How long has this chick been "weak"?

What does its poop look like?

Has the chick been on local soil, allowed to scratch around outside?

Is this chick under size compared to the others?

Please answer each question as these will provide important clues as to what may be going on.
The chick in in a brooder a large brooder with six mates we added two more I got same day wasnt very long they were showing signs one passing bloody stool it passed. i went to store and go corid on last Monday I have been giving gatorade and honey by mouth and she was eating yesterday. Found her caught in the corner this morning down so i separated her from her mates They afe light bramag and one Australorp. And have had no soil or grit ecently getting more today and been on medicated feed when can they have vit and electrolytes and stop corid?and i have poultry drench been with with holding be vitamins for several days stool is brown with white and finda loose no blood.

What are the proportions of Corid to water? How long have the chicks been on it? (Mixture is two teaspoons Corid (liquid) to one gallon water for five days.)

Have the chicks been eating anything besides chick feed?

After the fifth day on Corid, vitamins can be given for one week. But then a second round of Corid must be given for another five days.

Is it correct my understanding is that one chick has died? Did it have bloody stools?

Get Poultry Nutri-drench for the chicks. But give it only when the chicks are not consuming Corid water.

Are the chicks still under a heat lamp?

Please go back and answer any questions you may have missed answering. It's still not clear what's going on from the information you've provided.

Chicks need no heat after five weeks, especially in summer. If you are heating the garage, stop. Let the temp go down to normal ambient temperature. Too much heat can result in dehydration and heat stress.

Continue with five more days of Corid after this next week off. Start again next Sunday. Stop giving vitamins during the second round. But resume vitamins after the second round is complete.

For the weak chick, give it sugar water to drink with just a tiny pinch of salt in it. Gatoraid is okay if it's the kind where they left the sugar in. Sugarless Gatoraid is less helpful than the kind with sugar, even for humans. It's okay for all the chicks to drink it. Return this chick to the brooder. Sick chicks get well faster when left with their mates.

Just in case this chick is having problems pooping, and I'll just have to guess it may be, give it a teaspoon of coconut oil. If you use unrefined coconut oil, the chick may eat it on its own. If not, chill the oil and divide it into bite size pieces and slip one at a time into the beak. Get it all into the chick.

There isn't really anything in the information you've provided that points strongly in any single direction, so treating for coccidiosis, constipation, and heat stress, are about the best we can do. Let's hope it's enough to make this chick better.

Meanwhile, if you have been giving the chicks treats such as raw fruit or veggies or greens or seeds or corn, stop until you can provide the chicks with chick grit for proper digestion.

Chicks need no heat after five weeks, especially in summer. If you are heating the garage, stop. Let the temp go down to normal ambient temperature. Too much heat can result in dehydration and heat stress.

Continue with five more days of Corid after this next week off. Start again next Sunday. Stop giving vitamins during the second round. But resume vitamins after the second round is complete.

For the weak chick, give it sugar water to drink with just a tiny pinch of salt in it. Gatoraid is okay if it's the kind where they left the sugar in. Sugarless Gatoraid is less helpful than the kind with sugar, even for humans. It's okay for all the chicks to drink it. Return this chick to the brooder. Sick chicks get well faster when left with their mates.

Just in case this chick is having problems pooping, and I'll just have to guess it may be, give it a teaspoon of coconut oil. If you use unrefined coconut oil, the chick may eat it on its own. If not, chill the oil and divide it into bite size pieces and slip one at a time into the beak. Get it all into the chick.

There isn't really anything in the information you've provided that points strongly in any single direction, so treating for coccidiosis, constipation, and heat stress, are about the best we can do. Let's hope it's enough to make this chick better.

Meanwhile, if you have been giving the chicks treats such as raw fruit or veggies or greens or seeds or corn, stop until you can provide the chicks with chick grit for proper digestion.
Thank you for all your hrlp

Back
Top Bottom