APA judges, please: Bay eyes?

exop

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 10, 2009
NW Indiana
I'm interested to hear some APA judges or experienced exhibitors weigh in on the Bay eye color.

How precise is the idea of the eye color, Bay? Does it span a gamut of colors or is it pretty specific? Does the interpretation of "Bay" vary between different breeds?

I've put together a diagram, and would be interested to hear which colors on it are Bay, which are Reddish Bay, Deep Bay, etc; which colors are definitely not Bay, and if so what would you call them...

bay_color.png

The diagram is a grid like a map. Colors can be identified by letter / number pairs. For example, color A1; color C6; the colors in row 1; the colors in column D; the colors around H3.

If a lot of the colors look identical to you, check that your browser is using full image quality and try reloading the pic... all the squares should be different... thanks!

Looking forward to your input,

Best - exop

Well not a Poultry Judge but to be honest I don't see Bay, Reddish Bay or Deep Bay on the chart.
This is as close to, "Reddish Bay" as you get for a color sample. (Benjamin Moore paints Red Bay color chip sample)
33115_times-union-paint-red-bay.jpg

The is, "Reddish Bay" eye color as on a Rhode Island Red (rooster). (Note the Reddish Bay eye color on a Female will tend to darken slightly as she get closer to laying age.)
33115_dsc_0630.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
I'll have to add another line to the chart to bring it further into the red territory.

...Thanks, Chris. The paint chip looks a little like 5 E thru G to me, but a little redder, funny, I would have called the color maroon. The RIR eye looks to me like a 5B or 5C. Great picture of the RIR by the way!

Quote:
That is always a problem with comparing colour photos--it can be really difficult to acurately depict a colour as each computer and camera can vary quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom