Appenzellers (Spitzhaubens) vs. Brabanters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amazondoc, Apr 23, 2008.

1. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, another breed comparison --

Is anyone here familiar with both Appenzellers (also called Spitzhaubens) and Brabanters?

I know the major physical differences. Brabanters are larger and have beards as well as crests. But how about personality and egg-laying differences?

Any input would be welcomed, thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't have any but I do know there are some on here that do. Best of luck on your search!

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am patiently waiting for a reply too. I have both in the bator ready to hatch today. I am wondering the differences!! [​IMG]

4. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Where did you get yours? We may have to be the ones who do the comparisons for the other forum members!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I only got Spitzhaubens but they are only over two months old so its a matter of time to see the difference. I am sure that Carla from OK and AllenRanch can tell you the difference because she raises both breeds.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    DipsyDoodleDoo has Spitzhaubens I believe.

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I got mine from okcarla! They are pipping as I type [​IMG] I am so excited to have them get here. I did find 3 Spitz at Rural King. I wish I would have know what they were! I would have bought all of them!!! I dont know what gender they are. I know nothing about these breeds.

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Appenzeller Spitzhaubens are a breed from Switzerland. They have a crest and V comb, are fairly independent and can sometimes be flighty. They are good flyers and love to be up high. As a breed, the roos are non-agressive.

Brabanters are a Dutch breed with a full beard (front and up the side of the neck) and a V comb. Toward the beginning of the 1900s they were becoming extinct and too inbred so were crossed with the Dutch Owlbeard to improve the breed. They are also a little flighty, but I find them more docile and curious than the Spitz. The quality of Brabanters in the US is poor, most coming from Ideal Poultry. However, there are a few independent Brabanter breeders in the US, if you can find them.

They are two entirely different breeds.

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks for the post!

And how does one find these "independent breeders"? I have located a breeder not too far away from whom I could buy some stock (brabanters), but I think she got hers from Ideal.

10. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I found a breeder through the Rare_Chickens Yahoo group, but he doesn't have email. I had to go through a third party, and he hasn't returned any calls. I don't think I even have the phone# anymore.

Ask if you go to any poutry shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by