Appenzellers (Spitzhaubens) vs. Brabanters

amazondoc

Cracked Egghead
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Lebanon, TN
Okay, another breed comparison --

Is anyone here familiar with both Appenzellers (also called Spitzhaubens) and Brabanters?

I know the major physical differences. Brabanters are larger and have beards as well as crests. But how about personality and egg-laying differences?

Any input would be welcomed, thanks!

I am patiently waiting for a reply too. I have both in the bator ready to hatch today. I am wondering the differences!!
wink.png

I only got Spitzhaubens but they are only over two months old so its a matter of time to see the difference. I am sure that Carla from OK and AllenRanch can tell you the difference because she raises both breeds.

Quote:
I got mine from okcarla! They are pipping as I type
wee.gif
I am so excited to have them get here. I did find 3 Spitz at Rural King. I wish I would have know what they were! I would have bought all of them!!! I dont know what gender they are. I know nothing about these breeds.

Appenzeller Spitzhaubens are a breed from Switzerland. They have a crest and V comb, are fairly independent and can sometimes be flighty. They are good flyers and love to be up high. As a breed, the roos are non-agressive.

Brabanters are a Dutch breed with a full beard (front and up the side of the neck) and a V comb. Toward the beginning of the 1900s they were becoming extinct and too inbred so were crossed with the Dutch Owlbeard to improve the breed. They are also a little flighty, but I find them more docile and curious than the Spitz. The quality of Brabanters in the US is poor, most coming from Ideal Poultry. However, there are a few independent Brabanter breeders in the US, if you can find them.

They are two entirely different breeds.

Thanks for the post!

And how does one find these "independent breeders"? I have located a breeder not too far away from whom I could buy some stock (brabanters), but I think she got hers from Ideal.

I found a breeder through the Rare_Chickens Yahoo group, but he doesn't have email. I had to go through a third party, and he hasn't returned any calls. I don't think I even have the phone# anymore.

Ask if you go to any poutry shows.

Back
Top Bottom