apple cider vinegar everyday?

samana

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I've read so many good things about acv. We just brought home our baby chicks yesterday:) And now we are adding in 1/2 tsp per pint of acv to their waterer.

My question/concern is - do they need plain ol water once in awhile? It seems a bit unnatural for them to be hydrating with vinegar water at all times?

Also a side question - I'm a bit worried about leaching - its just a little metal dish with a glass jar connected - but the only options are metal or plastic, both of which google articles say to avoid using if using acv. So I'm confused. I know people obviously don't use pure glass waterers.

The simple answer is yes, they need fresh plain water more than anything else. ACV has some dietary value, but as with everything, it should be given in moderation. I found that it tends to sour crops if given too long. Personally, I would never give it to baby chicks.

hmmm. I've heard the same things. If you do anything besides water for day-olds, do electrolytes like quik-chick or something similar. And I think you're only supposed to do that for a week or less.??

ok thank you I really appreciate the replies. I will empty it out tonight and give them a breather from it for a day or two. They all seem to be doing great, even more energetic today than yesterday. But I will get a plastic or make a glass waterer for their acv, I don't want to stress their little bodies with any metal.

I did read many threads about people using it right away, or the first 2 weeks, so that's why I had started it right away. Plus they are not on any medicated feed so I want to help boost their immune. I am thinking two separate waterers now, or just feed them it twice a week instead of everyday.

Any other input is appreciated always, I am so new to this
smile.png

With my baby's i hated all the different waterers i bought. I ended up using a glass bowl and put those pretty glass rocks you can buy at craft stores in the bowl with the water so the chicks don't fall in. Of corse they like to walk in the bowl but it never seemed to hurt them any.

I was told by my chicken man (old timer at that) to wait until they were of good size and then to use the cider vinegar about once a month for the worms, etc. I think that they need plain old H2O majority of the time, right?

Cider Vinegar does not worm chickens, though I've seen it recommended time after time for that. Fresh water is fine all the time. ACV is not required, but the type with sediment does have vitamins and minerals and is good for certain conditions like pasty butt.

I am going to just make a glass waterer for the acv and let them have that once in awhile. Took some time to read through some big acv threads I found here last night - I think probiotics are so important to good health, but the logic here and my own instinct does tell me all things in moderation
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom