Apple cider vinegar- really?

I don't think folks were lauding "organic" vinegar...they stress, for the best overall affect, to use NON-PASTUERIZED vinegar. This means vinegar that hasn't been heated to the degree that it kills the "mother", the organism in the vinegar that contains the probiotics, the good microbials, that can help boost a chicken's immune system, can culture their stomachs so they can digest their foods more efficiently and that can culture their bowels to overpower and combat the overgrowth of bad microbials~ like e.coli, salmonella, cocci.

That being said, any vinegar can help boost immune systems by adding much needed vitamins. Before I knew any better, I used to use red wine vinegar for my meat rabbits and got great results. If kits had pink eye, it would clear it up in a few short days. Never had any parasite problems with my rabbits and the vinegar helped with getting mostly female kits in my litters.

Organic or not, pastuerized or not, vinegar is a good thing to give your chickens. It certainly can't hurt!
wink.png

The difference is that the apple cider vinegar has enzymes, very much like "real" yogurt, whereas white vinegar does not. The ACV aids digestion, reduces worms and gives a nice gloss to the feathers.

I know, it sounds like a snake oil salesman's cure all, but it really is beneficial... in ways white vinegar isn't.

Jenny

Yes there is a huge difference in type of vinegar. The stuff in the bottle we talk about it the "Mother". Actually the cloudier the better. It is not distilled and hold the nutients.

OH heck there's some links

http://poultrykeeper.com/common-articles-to-all-poultry/general/apple-cider-vinegar.html

http://poultrykeeper.com/common-articles-to-all-poultry/general/apple-cider-vinegar.html

My grandfather lived to 104. He used this. I've used it (ok I stray away) at times when I've had some very hard to deal with health problems.

The Braggs website should have lots of info. There are tons of books out there also.

One thread couldn't begin to touch on the benefits of ACV.

Quote:
Not sure of the actual benefits for chickens, maybe the same a for humans. I drink Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar every day. The "floaties" are actually protien molecules. Braggs is raw, unfiltered and organic. The difference is kind of like buying vitamins at GNC or at the dollar store: Quality. Normal grocery store apple cider vinegar has been processed so much to "look" good to the eye, but that process has removed most, if not all, the health benefits.

https://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/braggs-apple-cider-vinegar-raw-unfiltered-organic-32-oz.html

I started putting it my bird's water after reading it on here. Then I remembered some elder members of the family drinking it daily. So, I bought the organic, unpasteurized kind not only because that was what was recommended on some of these threads, but because that's what I wanted to drink too. So now both my birds and I drink it.

I started with an organic ACV I bought at the health food store, pricey stuff. But then I found the local grocery chain, HyVee, has Bragg ACV in its health food section and the Bragg is actually cheaper and you can buy it in gallon containers if you want and save even more money. And it's far better than the other more expensive AVC I bought at first. It's amazing stuff. I not only use it for my chickens, but also as a hair conditioner/rinse and as a dietary supplement for myself. But I didn't just jump on the bandwagon uninformed. I went into the published scientific literature and read about it first.

Cindilooloo, where are you, you drink vinegar before every meal and you have lost weight from it... I hope I am right in remembering a post by you. I have a vinegar book that tells of all the benefits from vinegar. My aunt drinks a shot a day and swears by it. by looking at her it obviously has worked. She is so vibrant and energetic.

I need to listen to my elders more
thumbsup.gif

It doesn't matter if it is organic or not (depends on personal preference), the big difference is ACV with Mother vs normal ACV. Usually ACV with mother is sold as the organic option (it'll say with mother on it). With mother means that it is unfiltered and has, as others have described, floaties. This provides more nutrients than the regular kind. However, we have used the regular as well with success. How do I know it was a success? We have a hen that has gotten sour crop a few times (a yeast infection in the crop from eating something spoiled). A strong mixture of ACV is the only thing that we have found to cure it quickly enough on a reasonable budget. We have used ACV with mother and regular ACV. Both treat it equally fine, but the regular one gives the hen less nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom