approx 7wk old duck w/ diarrhea

lkanadaycreed

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
Hello! I have an unknown mallard cross that is approx 7wks old. She/he has had diarrhea for approx 28hrs now - I added a pic. She is also more quiet, less active (this baby has never been extremely active to begin with and prefers to be a lap duck -_-). She has little to no appetite. They originally reported that her apetite decreased approx 40hrs ago. The poo in the pic looks to have a faint yellowish color. She pooped again while I wrote this and it had more green items in it.

Possible factors -
1. She has 2 homes - the other household found a duckling on the sidewalk 2 days ago. It was less than a week old and was unable to walk and had tarry stools. That duckling died approx 20hrs after they found it. Google makes it look like maybe that baby had renal failure. I am wondering if it was a developmental issue or if it had parasites, infection, or disease.
2. She/he had spent a lot on time on their patio yesterday and it was very hot out (so maybe heat exhaustion/prostration/stroke - but no symptoms of that other that the watery stools).
3. She loves mealworms and sprouted greens and will typically refuse to eat starter feed (so maybe too much protein)
4. They have not had grit for her - I try to alleviate this somewhat by taking her "mudding" (also for enrichment). I found chick-grit (plain) at store 2 days ago and she ate some of that.

What has been done so far -

1. probiotics (was originally given human ones which may or may not have aggravated things - but now she is on probiotics for birds that are also mixed w/ electrolytes).
2. She was given olive oil in case she has a blockage.
3. She has also been taking little sips of cell salt
4. She was also given homeopathic remedy Carbo-Veg (idk what potency - probably 30C) and might have also gotten Arsenicum Album.

Another question - if I remember correctly - all the other household can get this duck to eat is mealworms and sprouted greens...could this whole issue be a lack of grains/vit deficiency?

Thank you for any info.

Attachments

• baby duck diarrhea.jpg
    baby duck diarrhea.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hello! I have an unknown mallard cross that is approx 7wks old. She/he has had diarrhea for approx 28hrs now - I added a pic. She is also more quiet, less active (this baby has never been extremely active to begin with and prefers to be a lap duck -_-). She has little to no appetite. They originally reported that her appetite decreased approx 40hrs ago. The poo in the pic looks to have a faint yellowish color. She pooped again while I wrote this and it had more green items in it.

Possible factors -
1. She has 2 homes - the other household found a duckling on the sidewalk 2 days ago. It was less than a week old and was unable to walk and had tarry stools. That duckling died approx 20hrs after they found it. Google makes it look like maybe that baby had renal failure. I am wondering if it was a developmental issue or if it had parasites, infection, or disease.
2. She/he had spent a lot on time on their patio yesterday and it was very hot out (so maybe heat exhaustion/prostration/stroke - but no symptoms of that other that the watery stools).
3. She loves mealworms and sprouted greens and will typically refuse to eat starter feed (so maybe too much protein)
4. They have not had grit for her - I try to alleviate this somewhat by taking her "mudding" (also for enrichment). I found chick-grit (plain) at store 2 days ago and she ate some of that.

What has been done so far -

1. probiotics (was originally given human ones which may or may not have aggravated things - but now she is on probiotics for birds that are also mixed w/ electrolytes).
2. She was given olive oil in case she has a blockage.
3. She has also been taking little sips of cell salt
4. She was also given homeopathic remedy Carbo-Veg (idk what potency - probably 30C) and might have also gotten Arsenicum Album.

Thank you for any info.

Sorry to hear about your duckling.

Before we continue, can you take her to a vet that does birds? The symptoms you describe do not sound good at all, she has the best prognosis in the hands of a vet.

We did locate a vet who treats ducks, but the other caretaker is getting a tooth pulled atm (so I have this duck overnight tonight) and my hubby is at work with our car.

Another question - if I remember correctly - all the other household can get this duck to eat is mealworms and sprouted greens...could this whole issue be a lack of grains/vit deficiency?

It doesn't sound like it to me, but I may be wrong, a vet is your/her best option.

This poor baby died. We have no idea why b/c we wanted her back so we can have a little service for her (state wildlife would have done a necropsy for free). An EMT at an avian sanctuary said her belly was distended like she had suffered some sort of trauma and had internal bleeding. No one is aware of her falling or being dropped. We finally got her to a vet at 2pm (we had been trying since 8am - no one does walk-ins anymore -_-). He said he palpitated her belly, she pooed on him, then passed out. He said he tried to revive her but couldn't. We feel bad that she died w/ strangers even though it was a direct result of trying to get her help. I took a photo of her after we got home. She looks like a normal shape - would any distention in her belly have gone down? (I can't imagine why - the fluid would have no where to go) :(

Attachments

• baby duck 15may-15jul2020.jpg
    baby duck 15may-15jul2020.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom