April 15th- New Brinsea Owner Hatch Along

Nevermind, I read the post wrong. I thought this was a hatch-along for eggs HATCHING around the 15th, not setting. Ignore me!
smile.png

Quote:
Mine didn't come w/ foam. If I were you I would use the foam in the rails, it will make it way more safe for egg crashes! Wish I had foam.
tongue.png

Hopefully this weather hasn't screwed up with my peahen's laying. We have about 4 inches of fresh new snow
sad.png
and on Tuesday is hit 80 degrees and last night we got an inch of rain. Hopefully it melts fast! This is South Dakota for you.
I feel sorry for my birds because I took all the winter coverings off and their pen is full of snow. So hopefully I will still be able to set eggs on Sunday.

Quote:
I have my eggs slightly leaning. They do not have to be straight up and down and they can even be on their sides if you so choose. I decided to go inbetween Laying down and standing up and put them at a lean and the I put paper towel at the end of the rows because when the brinsea turned, the eggs were slamming against the rails. Now, Nothing!

Someone told me not to use the foam deviders because there is no real wasy to sanitize them after a hatch and they get really messy and gross really fast.

Can you believe its here....Our Friday Brinsea hacth along has officially begun!!!!
wee.gif

Quote:
I was planning on taking all the foam out right before lockdown when I stop turning. At that point I won't have to worry about them rolling around. I just don't know if I should take the big foam mat off the bottom of the tray. I am worried that it will hurt their little feet????

It's hard to believe it is here already!!!! I went home and checked mine at lunch and temp and humidity are still dead on. I probably won't be able to set mine until late tonight but I will get it done one way or another!!!

I've set eggs today too although mine are turkeys so they'll take an extra week. I've laid them flat between the rails (on their sides) is this not right? (I too have the Brinsea Octagon) Do I need to rearrange so they are pointy side down? I only set them an hour and a half ago so I'm guessing I'll be ok to rearrange them if needs be.

I plan on putting some chicken eggs in next week to hatch along side the turkeys as apparently chicks help poult survival rate as they teach them how to eat and drink.

Quote:
I was planning on taking all the foam out right before lockdown when I stop turning. At that point I won't have to worry about them rolling around. I just don't know if I should take the big foam mat off the bottom of the tray. I am worried that it will hurt their little feet????

It's hard to believe it is here already!!!! I went home and checked mine at lunch and temp and humidity are still dead on. I probably won't be able to set mine until late tonight but I will get it done one way or another!!!

You would still need to clean those soft bumpers inbetween each hatch since they are touching other eggs right? Yours came with a foam mat for the floor? Mine did not. I would say to remove that furing lockdown unless its washable.

Quote:

You would still need to clean those soft bumpers inbetween each hatch since they are touching other eggs right? Yours came with a foam mat for the floor? Mine did not. I would say to remove that furing lockdown unless its washable.

It actually came in with the stuff for the humidifier. They sent extra divider and the foam. I think I will take it all out before lockdown and what I thought I could do was fill my sink with some bleach water and lay them in there to soak for awhile. Since they will only be touching the eggs pre-hatch I don't think they will get too icky!!!

Back
Top Bottom