April 2017 chicks, who will lay first contest...

Here's the line up
2 old orpintons hens. Here and there.
2 welsummers. Lating
2 SLW- 1 egg sporadically
2 Cuckoo Marans- nada
1 EE. Nada

I've come to terms with their rest. I don't have power at the coop, so I have been looking for an LED light that has decent battery life. But not laying by april, some will be freezer camp hens.

You guys are so good, I have no idea who's laying and who's not. I have 13 hens, and multiples of several breeds, and some I can't tell apart. :p
I cannot tell the welsummers apart. I only got 2 of each breed so I can notice subtle differences. Welsummers I just know 1 is the dumbest chicken to ever be hatched. Lol. Not my favorites, they better lay pretty eggs.

Zero eggs here. ALL of my April pullets went into heavy molt and stopped laying. It looks like a pillow fight happened in the coop. This is my 3rd batch of chickens in 3 years, and the others didn't molt at this age, nor had I read about it happening ---everyone says 18 months for 1st molt.
Then someone started a thread about this very thing...and many others joined in saying they are experiencing a pullet molt this year too!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pullets-in-molt.1209955/

This thread has been dead, but my April '17 EE freeloader finally landed today at 10mo! Lol. Yet to see what color they end up in a few weeks. Still getting 6 eggs/day out of 9 hens, not too bad for no light in coop. Already doing chicken math for springtime. Adding only 3..... That's what I'm telling myself....
Pic would help....
IMG_20180205_173002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom