April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Shipped egg update: 37/50 viable.

12/15 Cream Legbars developing (1 blood ring pulled).

25/35 Potluck developing (3 blood rings pulled).

I am bummed that 3/3 of the Gold lace Orpington eggs are clear, as well as the only mixed Marans egg. There were 13 different types of eggs in this potluck. At least I have 11 types still viable!
[1 Basque hens, 3 Barbezieux, 2 Blue Marans, 2 CL, 2 Golden Spitzhauben, 4 Isbars, 1 Liege fighters, 2 Pavlovskaya, 3 Silver double laced Barnevelders, 3 Silver Spitzhauben, and 3 Blue laced red Wyandottes.]

Starting to gather the eggs for a projected 4/18 hatch. We will start them on Saturday. We have a bunch coming from Meyer's on the 23rd, so we're trying to match as close as possible to when we get the live chicks.

We are limiting ourselves to 12 (capacity of the incubator). The bluest blues, the greenest greens, and the prettiest browns. So far I have four blues, two greens, and four browns. I'm hoping my Welsummers lay in the next day or two, so I can get some brown speckled. We free range, so who knows who the fathers are.

Also using MagicFly.

Day 5/6 of duck eggs and all 6/6 are fertile and veins are noticeable as well as its heartbeat!!! Set a few chicken eggs in my other bator as well. How long does it take for eggs to get fertilized after a hen encounters a rooster? Debating putting in a few eggs from some new layers I got but they had their first interaction with the rooster yesterday, any ideas?

I kind of fell off this hatch a long but I’m hopping back on as my hatch day approaches! I have 17 BBS Ameraucana eggs hatching on April first. Quickly followed with some more Black Ameraucanas and Black Copper Marans and a lone Olive Egger if all goes well. I need to candle my Marans eggs, as one was oozing today and I’m so glad I caught it before the sucker blew. That’s the first time I’ve dealt with a bad egg. 🤢
D9B3A1A7-E1BA-4891-8E35-5FC3A79D4221.jpeg

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Day 5/6 of duck eggs and all 6/6 are fertile and veins are noticeable as well as its heartbeat!!! Set a few chicken eggs in my other bator as well. How long does it take for eggs to get fertilized after a hen encounters a rooster? Debating putting in a few eggs from some new layers I got but they had their first interaction with the rooster yesterday, any ideas?
I would imagine it takes at least 25 hours since it takes around 25 hours to make an egg. Look for a blastodisc whenever you crack an egg!

I kind of fell off this hatch a long but I’m hopping back on as my hatch day approaches! I have 17 BBS Ameraucana eggs hatching on April first. Quickly followed with some more Black Ameraucanas and Black Copper Marans and a lone Olive Egger if all goes well. I need to candle my Marans eggs, as one was oozing today and I’m so glad I caught it before the sucker blew. That’s the first time I’ve dealt with a bad egg. 🤢
View attachment 2063224

Yuck! Fingers crossed the rest are ok. Marans eggs are hard to candle, even when they arent as dark as that one!

View attachment 2063224

OMG gross!!! haha. I hope your hatch goes well.

Shipped egg update: 37/50 viable.

12/15 Cream Legbars developing (1 blood ring pulled).

25/35 Potluck developing (3 blood rings pulled).

I am bummed that 3/3 of the Gold lace Orpington eggs are clear, as well as the only mixed Marans egg. There were 13 different types of eggs in this potluck. At least I have 11 types still viable!
[1 Basque hens, 3 Barbezieux, 2 Blue Marans, 2 CL, 2 Golden Spitzhauben, 4 Isbars, 1 Liege fighters, 2 Pavlovskaya, 3 Silver double laced Barnevelders, 3 Silver Spitzhauben, and 3 Blue laced red Wyandottes.]
I also noticed trends between the breeds. Like you some never developed, another breed's eggs all quit the same day, another were late hatchers, lastly one breed all DIS. It was much easier to spot because there were so many breeds present.

View attachment 2063224

Yikes! Time for a stronger flashlight. One that's 800+ lumen should light those puppies right up.

Back
Top Bottom