April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Hi all!

Day 20 for my first batch of shipped eggs. I’m so nervous! They all had air cell problems but mostly they’re looking good for lockdown. I have placed them on their sides with the lowest part of the air cell up. I just read that they should be propped up on something for hatching... what should I do?

Hi all!

Day 20 for my first batch of shipped eggs. I’m so nervous! They all had air cell problems but mostly they’re looking good for lockdown. I have placed them on their sides with the lowest part of the air cell up. I just read that they should be propped up on something for hatching... what should I do?
I use shelf liner in my incubators and place them on their sides with the receding part of the air cell up. The only time I've propped up eggs are when they have air cells on the side of the egg rather than the bottom.

Good luck! I have eggs on D19 :).

I am a disappointed. I candled the first time last night and had to take out 23 eggs(from 70). 18 from one breeding group. That rooster is not doing his job! There were also more than 10 questionable eggs that I will have to re-check in a few days.
I have decited it is what it is... and that I am not adding eggs. There is alsways next year.

I am a disappointed. I candled the first time last night and had to take out 23 eggs(from 70). 18 from one breeding group. That rooster is not doing his job! There were also more than 10 questionable eggs that I will have to re-check in a few days.
I have decited it is what it is... and that I am not adding eggs. There is alsways next year.

I had mostly infertile eggs from the CCLs I set too. 9 clears and 1 quitter, so I only have 2 developing CCLs. The rooster is still very young. I actually gave him to her...I'm even starting to doubt that he's the one that fertilized the 2 that are developing, lol. I'll know once they hatch!

Hi all!

I've hatched a lot of shipped eggs. Easily over 150. I still don't feel like I have it dialed in quite yet. I do have a preference for hatching them the same way they incubate. I determine which way I incubate based on their aircells. There really isn't a correct way to do this. Every hatch is a learning experience. And always something you'd wish you'd done different.

Both these batches were shipped eggs. One on side, one upright. About a 50% hatch rate on both.

IMG_20200325_151333285.jpg IMG_20200214_100900750.jpg

I've hatched a lot of shipped eggs. Easily over 150. I still don't feel like I have it dialed in quite yet. I do have a preference for hatching them the same way they incubate. I determine which way I incubate based on their aircells. There really isn't a correct way to do this. Every hatch is a learning experience. And always something you'd wish you'd done different.

Both these batches were shipped eggs. One on side, one upright. About a 50% hatch rate on both.

View attachment 2066553View attachment 2066555
I have hatched two batches this year. The most recent one I placed the eggs in a carton like your pic on the left for lockdown. All of the eggs hatched.
My first batch were placed on their side during lockdown. I had late quitters.
2 batches does not a study make, by far, but I liked the carton hatching. The chicks can't knock the eggs around. And most of the shell pieces remain in the carton for easier removal.

I have hatched two batches this year. The most recent one I placed the eggs in a carton like your pic on the left for lockdown. All of the eggs hatched.
2 batches does not a study make, by far, but I liked the carton hatching. The chicks can't knock the eggs around. And most of the shell pieces remain in the carton for easier removal.

I hatch all of mine the same way. But someone made a good point about air flow. So I now modify the egg carton with holes all over to keep air moving through.

Yup! Good points. Some of the reasons I like cartons.

I hatch all of mine the same way. But someone made a good point about air flow. So I now modify the egg carton with holes all over to keep air moving through.
I've read this advice too. I just haven't experienced a difference first hand between cartons with holes and those without. But it definitely wouldn't hurt anything.

Back
Top Bottom