April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Whew I was worried when I saw that thing in there.

Yes these were the same breeding flock as last time. They're all my birds/ in laws birds that I'm taking care of. Five of the girls are 6 yrs old and the other 6 are all 9 months old.

If I don't have a vitamin supplement can I put apple cider vinegar in their water till I can go to the store tomorrow and get them some?

ACV isn't going to do what you need for them. I would just offer fresh clean water and get a vitamin supplement that contains vitamin b2 riboflavin when possible. Poultry Cell by rooster booster is a good one. If you can't get that then Polyvisol WITHOUT iron is a liquid baby vitamin that wouldn't also work well.

ACV isn't going to do what you need for them. I would just offer fresh clean water and get a vitamin supplement that contains vitamin b2 riboflavin when possible. Poultry Cell by rooster booster is a good one. If you can't get that then Polyvisol WITHOUT iron is a liquid baby vitamin that wouldn't also work well.
Ok thank you so much! I'm just excited to actually have more than one live baby with things I can potentially fix to keep them alive.

So our tally thus far of the 18 eggs is 1 perfect BOxBarred chick, 1 SLWxBarred with herniated navel, 1 Australorp xBarred chick with crooked toes/ herniated navel and 1 more Australorp cross that's inside came out its navel and I put it down. There's one more egg with an external pip and all quiet from the rest.

Update: the first chick I assisted is still wobbly in the brooder but still accepting nutridrench in water from a syringe. The chick with the navel that was closed but looked super weird is not doing so good. It does appear to have a slipped tendon as well and can’t get around. I think I’ll have to put it down tonight. And the one with the yolk sac still protruding has the same amount still sticking out. It is super super perky though. I had to get it out of the cup because it was trying to escape so hard that I was worried it would pop it’s little sac. So it’s walking around the incubator totally happy. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Really hoping that just kind of dries up and falls off. We will see.
Still just one pip on the Sky Girl eggs.

So far I have 10 hatched. I’m excited because my cc legbar egg hatched a girl! They are back yard mixes with the exception of her, but we shall see how it all goes!
E2AAD081-F7EC-4842-A1F5-236E439B3E51.jpeg

2F1EF379-4216-40B5-B731-58E6A92CBF49.jpeg

I have quail rails, and was curious - why quails? What do you use yours for?
They can be butchered as soon as 5 weeks, and will start laying (very beautiful) eggs by 8-ish weeks. I definitely want to do quail in the future, but still need to do more research. I'm not sure if they are cold hardy enough to winter in our area without heat.

Did one last candle on my cayuga eggs and caught them internally pipping! 4 out of 6 are either internally pipped or working on it. The other 2 don't seem to be ready yet but are still wiggling around so I think they're just a little behind. I know ducks take forever to hatch but now I am REALLY excited.

I also got my new toy - Nurture Right 360! :celebrate

So I sort of forgot when hatchday was and thought I had at least three more days. Turns out that hatch day is today, and I was not at all prepared!

After this realization I spent several hours making a ramp, splitting the coops so the little family would have privacy, setting up feeders and waters, giving the coop a light cleaning, and staring at the adorable little chicks when Mama Skye let them come out from under her!

I have seen two chicks (out of 4 eggs). They look to be silkie-game bantam mixes. Skye is doing a great job keeping them warm and making sure they aren't away from her for too long.

They haven't left the nesting box yet, but I have water set up and will put out chick food in the morning. I can't wait to see a mother hen raise her chicks!

Back
Top Bottom