April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Woke up to 11 more babies! So far the count is 19, and 1 quitter. With 9 more that haven’t done anything, but today is day 21 so I’ll give them another day or two. However one of my backyard mixes is a houdan mix, and only one of her feet has 5 toes!

Attachments

• 7F77CE16-11D1-4A0F-9697-C1F275B5B4E8.jpeg
    7F77CE16-11D1-4A0F-9697-C1F275B5B4E8.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 9
I have two. They're great for seeing into, so perfect for peeps with kids, or beset with unrelenting wonder of their own. They're fiddly with regard to temperature, though, and while I figured it out, so it can't be THAT hard, they're not intuitive to run. I think my next one will be homemade and hold a lot more eggs. :oops:

I see a lot of you guys have incuviews, would you guys recommend buying one?

IncuView is my second favorite incubator. Nurture Right 360 is my favorite, they did everything right in my opinion, great price point, very reliable, great view, easy clean, external water ports, and very user friendly, I have 3 NR360s now. Brinsea would have probably won out over the IncuView but I just happened to have one with stinky heating wires and there is a beep when the turner goes off that will drive you mad if it's in a room you're frequently in.

So to actually answer your question, the IncuView is the easiest incubator I've ever cleaned. It's a bit finicky with temps as mentioned above but as long as you calibrate a couple additional thermometers and adjust the temp for every hatch you should be just fine. I also recommend rotating the eggs around the incubator once a day to make up for hot/cold spots (this is pretty much all incubators unless the turner rotates all the way around the incubator like in the NR360 and Mini/Maxi Brinseas). The IncuView also runs a bit on the dryer side but this is easily remedied. IncuView also got additional points from me because the automatic turner works for multiple sizes of eggs, anything from quail to geese.

Do you have a shrink wrapped baby? You would need to assist it to hatch if it's actually shrink wrapped. Pictures would be helpful.
I was weak. I pulled it out and helped it. The membrane where it pipped had turned brown and crackly. It was stuck on its head and neck but the beaks was visible. I wrapped it in a very warm washcloth then took tweezers to the other side of the shell to expose moist membrane then I had to pull off the majority of the shell then it finally pushed itself free. Now it's back in the incubator to warm up and dry off. Its holding its head weird like it's still trapped in the egg.

I was weak. I pulled it out and helped it. The membrane where it pipped had turned brown and crackly. It was stuck on its head and neck but the beaks was visible. I wrapped it in a very warm washcloth then took tweezers to the other side of the shell to expose moist membrane then I had to pull off the majority of the shell then it finally pushed itself free. Now it's back in the incubator to warm up and dry off. Its holding its head weird like it's still trapped in the egg.
Wow, good job! I hope it pulls through! I think sometimes getting stuck like that can make them a little stiff?

Back
Top Bottom