April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
I set my egg on April 2nd! 34 chicken eggs! Hoping for a better hatch rate than last time. :fl
Last time only 4 or 5 made it to lockdown and only 1 successfully hatched. 1 internally piped but that was it. The other 2 or 3 looked great but never piped internally or anything.
I know I will still have fertility issues with the eggs from the large coop because I have 1 rooster trying to cover 19 hens. Some of those hens don't care to be covered by him. :eek:
Picky girls!

I have 26.5 eggs in lockdown. 0.5 because I'm 99% sure that one died … but … I can't tell for sure? So I left it in there.
We are on day 19.5 with lots of eggs wiggling around but no noise yet and no external pips. These will be a random bunch of barnyard mix including some bantam/standard crosses. (oh boy) Last hatch I got a little spoiled and had 2 babies pipped on day 19 and out by day 20 so it's hard not to get antsy right now. At least I have my kids' elearning to keep me busy. :rolleyes::lol:

More cuties! :love
Silver laced Orpington
Silver laced Orpington (4)~2.jpg

Silver double laced Barnevelder
20200407_114235~2.jpg

Well, I didnt see anymore movement in the remaining cayuga eggs so I checked them again this morning and they are in the exact same spot/position as when I candled last night. So I think they are DIS?

This is happening to me a lot - everyone makes it until the first handful hatches, and then the rest die. In the Janoel I don't think it's humidity related as it is super hard to keep humidity high in that thing and it rarely goes above 70% even after someone has just hatched. In the Brinsea, the humidity spikes to 99%+ (99% is the max on my hygrometer) after someone hatches and can stay that way for a long time if I dont open it (and I try not to because there's usually someone pipped!) Could this be drowning chicks/ducklings that haven't pipped? All three ducklings that had external pips hatched successfully, the other three I am pretty sure are dead, but they were alive and well just 48 hours ago. It is D26. What gives? Any ideas? Should I poke a hole in the remaining eggs to see what's going on? (I know I just told someone to sit on their hands; it is so hard to do that when the eggs are right in front of you lol). This is super frustrating.

Oh fun! They're pretty and they're supposed to be great protectors!
He's really nice looking. My flock needs a change anyways. We are getting more fencing up next weekend so they'll have even more room. It'll go to 9,000 sq ft.

Also butchering some of the ones I've grown out. None are pullets just Cockerels. I see some pullets that I want to keep for certain.

Back
Top Bottom