April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Today is day 14 for me ! Candled yesterday and everyone was looking good . Should I candle again before lock down ? Or just let them be ? And Hiiii! I'm Taylor thought I'd join this thread 😃 this is my first hatch!

That's so exciting that everyone is developing! Congrats on your first hatch. I just candle once on day 11 and then everyone doing well then goes into lockdown! That's assuming none of the eggs start to stink. Many people here are much more hands-on though, candling each day to check the air cell or whatnot.

Adorbs! How are they doing now?

Doing well! One chick is out and was raising hell chirping all night long. It looks like a dark blue to me, or maybe black. The other has zipped about halfway and I think will be out soon!

200413 blue ameraucana.jpg

That's so exciting that everyone is developing! Congrats on your first hatch. I just candle once on day 11 and then everyone doing well then goes into lockdown! That's assuming none of the eggs start to stink. Many people here are much more hands-on though, candling each day to check the air cell or whatnot.
I'm thinking of not candling again, I candled aloooooot in the beginning I lost 9 eggs so I feel like I over did it 🙃

Hello there- I'm late to the party!! I set my 48 eggs on Good Friday evening (April 11). So I think I am on day 2. Am I too late to join? Is there a MAY thread??
I’m going to say welcome!
My two Broody hens are sitting on eggs since Tuesday April 7th so tomorrow is going to be a week. I’m so excited! :jumpy :wee:clap

Well hello and thank you! How are your broody's doing?
I wish I had a broody hen this year.. It is so nice once they hatch - so much fun to see them hopping on mamas back and how she teaches them. I was waiting and waiting for a broody this year, but no luck. Last year I had 3!! (although one kept pooping on her nest, so we had 3 false starts )...
Are you going to candle?

Well my broody girls have hatched a few themselves! But I do have a question. My run is fenced and includes a mixed flock I have 4silkies 4 bantams 4 larger chickens ( Orpington, Wyandotte’s one of which is the top hen and pretty nasty to the other girls at times) . The roos are 1 bantam and 1 silkie. 4 geese 3 are ganders and 8 ducks one drake, one turkey hen and one Tom . I really want to leave the babies with their mommas but I just want them to be safe.

The babies are in a large coop that is split with the turkeys but fenced off by a divider. That being said though the turkey hen does go in the chicken area when she wants to lay and so does my goose when she lays. Apparently that’s the preferred laying coop. So is it safe to leave them? I’m assuming the moms will not take the babies out for a while so they won’t be exposed to everyone but my turkey hen, the other larger chickens and the roosters do go in the coop. The coop isn’t large enough to fit a cage in the only other choice is I move moms (2 ) and babies to my downstairs basement area in the larger crate cages I have. Advice please I need to everyone safe!

I honestly like the idea of moving them to my basement area but there’s still unhatched eggs if I move the nest will that mess it up and they won’t finish sitting. Apparently they are doing a join parenting lol and both sitting on the same nest so at least there would be only one to move

Last edited:
Well hello and thank you! How are your broody's doing?
I wish I had a broody hen this year.. It is so nice once they hatch - so much fun to see them hopping on mamas back and how she teaches them. I was waiting and waiting for a broody this year, but no luck. Last year I had 3!! (although one kept pooping on her nest, so we had 3 false starts )...
Are you going to candle?
I candled then yesterday and they all look good. They are 13 all together.

Back
Top Bottom