April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I did try to candle mine under the BO, but the eggs are easter eggers and olive eggers, couldn't see anything. I saw inside The BO eggs though, looks like i can see i start of veining, and one of the easter eggers egg, maybe legbar, i saw good signs. So 3 eggs are good from what i can tell, the rest I'll have to do a check later in the hatch and check air pockets.

Has the seller offered to send more if a poor hatch? The one I use will for cost of shipping if you get a poor hatch rate. So far I haven't got a bad one from her. Well guess last time with 8/18 eggs but most weren't fertilized so she did make up for it in this set and offered to send more next set.
She hasn't, but I'm not going to push it. I got 30 eggs for $15, which is a good price, and honestly it could have been my fault or my incubator's. It's a local person, so I don't have to pay shipping, at least.

Three. Out of thirty. I contacted the seller, and she checked hers and they looked fertile (bullseye in yolk). It may have been my incubator? I know it was running a bit high by a few degrees while it was in my daughter's house (I had a power outage in my place).

Dog may be getting extra treats. He loves it when I put an egg on his food.
That’s odd! I’d surely give you some of my eggs if you were closer 🤗

Hi all :frow

I added an additional 22 eggs on Sunday, to make for a total of 44, due on the 8th and 9th. I also purchased a new candler, I just can’t see anything in my colored eggs except sometimes the air sack, so hopefully it will work. Won’t candle until Saturday/Sunday (day7).

Rehomed all 11 from my last hatch- that was painful 😕 They are so dang cute, but my husband reminded me of the 26 in the outside brooding pen, which is my new flock. One of them was a CCL cross with my Cemani roo. Totally black with a little white patch on his chest and a little pink toe, but a black Mohawk! It’s going to be a funny looking chicken, I hope it’s a she 🤞

Just did our first candling! Only one dud, but the one I was most excited for. I’ve not seen Goldie (buff laced Polish) squat or accept any of the roos yet, but I saw her lay they egg and am sure lol. We’ve got all summer to wait on her though! 3 blood rings. Not bad for 31 eggs in winter! Added a few more eggs as well 😅 Ethel laid one today!!! I’m not sure if it’s still fertile since she’s been in her own pen lately (some free time if she decides to come out while I open the door, but usually she won’t leave). Then some buff silkie and porcelain D’Uccle.

I’ve seen some leave a turning tray in while the rest of the eggs hatch in the Maticoopx… Would that be better or move the new eggs over to the second incubator?

I candled all mine today, day 4. One was for sure clear. 2 had a red line but that was it? super early quitters? then 4 had darker yolks so wouldn't say for sure clear but no growth yet. Only removed the one that I could say is 100% clear and left the rest. But 21 had babies!!!!!

Now I am worrying a bit. LOL I have 14 in my brooder right now that will be 3 weeks when these hatch and going to hopefully combine them. I am hatching some for someone else and then mine........ well I have another 13 going so far in this. group...... Thinking I may have to try to find homes for some before I know the sex of them since I don't think I can fit that many in my brooder or coop for that long!!!!! LOL

Its daylight out, but i got carried away and tried to candle the eggs, i saw development in about 4 or 5 (Checked my sf's, not the bo) 3 under one of my SF's were clear, the one who has my new bantam hens eggs. I kinda figured it may happen as she is new to the flock, and although i do see her getting jumped on, I worried they'd be infertile. I left them under her anyways case something strange happens. And again, some were just too dark tinted to see into, especially during the day.

Back
Top Bottom