April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Another thing, yesterday afternoon a hen was acting a little broody-like- clucking and walking around puffed up. That night she was in the nest instead of perching, so i said, okay, if she's still acting like this tomorrow morning, I'll give her eggs. Sure enough, she was, still bundled up in the nest, no eggs. So i gave her 5 eggs, 3 belong to this beautiful barnyard mix hen:
20230320_090501.jpg

And the remaining two are silkie bantam eggs, unsure if they'll be fertile but I've seen some mounting going on, so we'll see.

Candled eggs tonight and 23 of my 35 look to be developing! All due 4/7-4/8! I’m super excited as these are eggs I’ve been planning for since September! Finding bantam Ameraucanas in CA has proven to be more difficult than I expected 😩 So, I’m hoping to hatch black, self-blue, blue, and cuckoo! 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I sadly had a hen suddenly die in the nesting box yesterday and I was super upset. She was my only bobtail Cochin and I’ve only had her for two months 😢 I just loved her spunky chatty personality. Well she’d been laying since I got her so I grabbed all the eggs from her that I had and stuck them in the incubator last night—if fertile they’d hatch 4/12. I had 8, 4 I’d just collected the day before and 4 I’ve had on the counter for about two or three weeks. I’m not at all expecting those 4 to develop, but you never know right? I should know if they’re even fertile by Sunday. I sure hope a couple hatch!!
Hopefully you get some of hers to hatch. I lost one of my girls about a week or two into incubating my March eggs. I had 2 of hers in there. I had a broody at the time so gave her a couple of her eggs, but sadly those eggs ended up having a sad ending. But I have her 2 babies I hatched. I wasn't sure if I could be confident picking out her other eggs from my counter so didn't put more in the incubator

Hopefully you get some of hers to hatch. I lost one of my girls about a week or two into incubating my March eggs. I had 2 of hers in there. I had a broody at the time so gave her a couple of her eggs, but sadly those eggs ended up having a sad ending. But I have her 2 babies I hatched. I wasn't sure if I could be confident picking out her other eggs from my counter so didn't put more in the incubator
Thanks I hope so too! I’m just glad I had started labeling her eggs so I could consider using them to hatch! Cuz I know she laid a bunch more but I have way too many cream eggs to know the difference. I’m hoping I get at least a couple babies from her! ❤️ I’m glad you were able to get a couple from your lost lady!

Thanks I hope so too! I’m just glad I had started labeling her eggs so I could consider using them to hatch! Cuz I know she laid a bunch more but I have way too many cream eggs to know the difference. I’m hoping I get at least a couple babies from her! ❤️ I’m glad you were able to get a couple from your lost lady!
I was marking mine but I had 4 that lay eggs about the same size. one is slightly darker than the rest. the one that passed had eggs a bit lighter then the others. the middle 2 are the closest but they all look VERY similar so unless I caught on camera what box each one went in it was hard to tell whose eggs were whose and a lot of times they went into the same box so almost impossible. So glad I had a couple that she was either the only one in the box that laid eggs like that or the one with the darker eggs went in the same one so a bit easier to tell.

I have 12 eggs set. Due Easter. At least 3-4 should be from this pairing. Full brother and sister. I asked someone on here a while back but I think I could get all kinds of different offspring from this match. Their parents were a BLRW and a Lavender Orpington.

View attachment 3443011
View attachment 3443012
Roo looks like my old man! Very stunning, hen too. Though ig it makes since, mine is a pure Wyandotte, thought he was Blr but someone told me he is splash laced with those colors so I'm not sure.
Screenshot_20230325-005847_Photos.jpg

Here's a younger photo of him, my boy is around 9 and 10 years, reason I say old man. He used to have green in his tail but they were plucked by a bully rooster of mine, never grew back and i figure its because he's old 😓. Now he can hardly walk and has a strut to him, like a crab taking a big step every so often.

Another thing, yesterday afternoon a hen was acting a little broody-like- clucking and walking around puffed up. That night she was in the nest instead of perching, so i said, okay, if she's still acting like this tomorrow morning, I'll give her eggs. Sure enough, she was, still bundled up in the nest, no eggs. So i gave her 5 eggs, 3 belong to this beautiful barnyard mix hen:
View attachment 3442911
And the remaining two are silkie bantam eggs, unsure if they'll be fertile but I've seen some mounting going on, so we'll see.
That is a beautiful hen!

Yup, self-control is non-existent here. I contacted the seller of the first eggs I hatched out in March, and she had some available. She had FOUR DOZEN available. At $4 a dozen!

Guess who got them all? Guess who's going to *fingers crossed* have more chicks than he knows what to do with? Guess who has no brooder space OR incubator space? If any of you answered: "Wind", you are correct!

I'm thinking I can sell a few extra chicks and buy another incubator... :oops:

That is a beautiful hen!
Thank you! She is definitely a barnyard mix but I'd say rather rare as her lacing is mostly complete and in order. Her father has at least 4 different mixes in him as both his parents were mixed. And her mom is a Light brahma. Let me also mention her father isn't laced either. I am told that the lacing came from her father having sebright in him, and some of the silver come from her mama being a light brahma.

Thank you! She is definitely a barnyard mix but I'd say rather rare as her lacing is mostly complete and in order. Her father has at least 4 different mixes in him as both his parents were mixed. And her mom is a Light brahma. Let me also mention her father isn't laced either. I am told that the lacing came from her father having sebright in him, and some of the silver come from her mama being a light brahma.
You gotta love genetics, or hate them! Or both!

Anyone have a good chicken genetics book suggestion? Something that starts off with the basics and works through the more complicated recessives and alleles? And co-dominants, and modifiers, and how the phase of the moon and the alignment of Venus affects traits? Oh, and tide schedules!

Back
Top Bottom