April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Welcome BYC'ers to the April 2023 Hatch-A-Long! I know many of us are in the Easter hatch-a-long, but a lot of us are planning or starting NOW for other April hatch dates. Everyone is welcome. Let's hear your plans, and see your April eggs, incubators, brooders, and babies!
I got both a March Hatch and an April Hatch here! Welcome, Junior and Pippy! Pippy is a miracle chick, did not think she would make it, but she was born on April Fools Day, so she tricked us all and they seem to be thriving.
Junior’s full legal name is Candy Pops Junior. He is named after his father.

Attachments

• 22847265-9BC0-49D4-A42E-A47B001E3286.jpeg
    22847265-9BC0-49D4-A42E-A47B001E3286.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Oh no, do you have a backup just in case?
Not really. I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'll pile on the blankets to keep everything warm as long as possible though, if the unmentionable should happen.

Thank goodness my chicks are already 4 weeks old and can do without heat.

Just had a massive lightning strike practically outside my place, and it caused a power surge. I have surge protectors on EVERYTHING and was able to reset stuff. Things outside seemed to have calmed for now, after that. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Not really. I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'll pile on the blankets to keep everything warm as long as possible though, if the unmentionable should happen.

Thank goodness my chicks are already 4 weeks old and can do without heat.

Just had a massive lightning strike practically outside my place, and it caused a power surge. I have surge protectors on EVERYTHING and was able to reset stuff. Things outside seemed to have calmed for now, after that. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
🤞I hope so.

We're in the middle of nowhere as well. We have it set up so we can run the incubator and the chick heater from the car if necessary in an emergency. Our car has regular plug sockets but the car before that didn't and we used to use a power inverter. It might be something to look into if you get a lot of power cuts.

I’m mostly finished up and I’m tired out from all this hatching!
There is one egg left that has pipped and taking its time. One sticky chick didn’t make it through hatch. And 18 eggs that I’m pretty sure are duds.

I kind of panicked when I counted the eggs left but realized that out if 150 eggs I’m actually over 85 percent which is pretty much what I seem to get with big hatches… although I was closer to 90 on my last one… so I’ll take it & I’m so relieved to have that done.

I would not purposely want to hatch that many at once again though. Is there such a thing as too much fluff???

Back
Top Bottom