April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So far, 13 have hatched and several more have pipped! Little black baby is my “just hatched” black watermaal 🎉🎉

Attachments

• 8C3AFA1F-902D-4BE5-9319-D1A2D3A77038.jpeg
    8C3AFA1F-902D-4BE5-9319-D1A2D3A77038.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 93DFC432-CBF2-471B-AF59-490E2B6610DF.jpeg
    93DFC432-CBF2-471B-AF59-490E2B6610DF.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DB547D00-6F93-477D-933E-B7BD08B8C6BD.jpeg
    DB547D00-6F93-477D-933E-B7BD08B8C6BD.jpeg
    592.8 KB · Views: 1
Tonight was lockdown so we candled one last time.

11/12 of them look good (to my very untrained eye). About as good as I could hope for. I think the one bad one looked like a quitter but without the red ring so we just left it in just in case.

Turning device removed.
Vent fully opened.
Water added.
Humidity up to 59. I’ll check it again before bed to make sure it’s in a decent range.

Fingers crossed!
Hooray! Good luck! Post pictures when they hatch!

@Wyorp Rock thanks for responding about leg issues! Poly-Visol does contain riboflavin. Here's the label info:

My chick regressed, so it's back in the cup and sling now. I gave it another touch of the vitamins on the edge of its beak. It hates it LOL. I made a little feeder and waterer from a couple of tablespoon measuring scoops, taped to the outside rim of its cup. It has been eating chick starter and drinking water with electrolytes. That's all I can do.

@Wyorp Rock thanks for responding about leg issues! Poly-Visol does contain riboflavin. Here's the label info:

My chick regressed, so it's back in the cup and sling now. I gave it another touch of the vitamins on the edge of its beak. It hates it LOL. I made a little feeder and waterer from a couple of tablespoon measuring scoops, taped to the outside rim of its cup. It has been eating chick starter and drinking water with electrolytes. That's all I can do.
When I had to do riboflavin for my chick I was able to get free mini syringes from my local pharmacy which helped a lot because my chick hated the b vitamins too!

When I had to do riboflavin for my chick I was able to get free mini syringes from my local pharmacy which helped a lot because my chick hated the b vitamins too!
Thank you for the suggestion - I'll check with my pharmacy today. The medicine dropper gives too much, and I worry that he's not getting enough with the Q-tip method. Anyway, he shakes his head when I try, so now his face is all stained black. :sick:gig

Minor heart-attack moment just now - we lost power at about 10:20. Luckily it popped back on as I was leaving for work at 11, but I couldn't move my day 20 egg over to the hatcher because it was still too cold. Hopefully I don't have a baby in the incubator tomorrow morning!
I hate power cuts! I hope everything goes well for you.

Well, I'm depressed now. 24 hours without power. Ran out of propane during the night.

I wrapped the incubator in multiple blankets, plus sweaters and my winter coat, and closed the door to the bathroom where it was (thankfully the smallest room in the trailer). But, that's still 24 hours without it running.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and won't disturb the eggs until they've warmed up and I can candle them, but I've braced myself for the worst. :(

Back
Top Bottom