April Fools 2014 - BYC Sponsored Study: Increase Chicken Broodiness By Up To 48% With Aluminum Foil

Forget the aluminum foil, I found this new fangled incubator. Will cut your incubation time in half. Drop the chicken egg in the hole and a chick will appear in 10 days. This particular unit will hold up to 18 eggs. Large version available for the ratite egg. You can get a conversion kit to adapt the unit to run off gas or diesel. Or simply plug it in any outlet. Solar power unit will be available next year.

Available exclusively at Chuckling Chicken Farms for $89.95 plus shipping.

Forget the aluminum foil, I found this new fangled incubator. Will cut your incubation time in half. Drop the chicken egg in the hole and a chick will appear in 10 days. This particular unit will hold up to 18 eggs. Large version available for the ratite egg. You can get a conversion kit to adapt the unit to run off gas or diesel. Or simply plug it in any outlet. Solar power unit will be available next year. Available exclusively at Chuckling Chicken Farms for $89.95 plus shipping.
Oh gosh!! What a find! I never have success incubating. PMing you for an address :)

This was a very fun and enjoyable research project to work with! Since my son already has some heritage breeds from the University of Arkansas and we had two of the breeds they wanted to research (Orpington and Australorp), it was just intelligent to ask us to join the project.

Here is my son standing at the gate of the University of Arkansas, Poultry Science Research facility and farm.

Just a side note: We discovered that the cheaper aluminum foil at Dollar Tree is too thin to get proper results. The Reynolds Wrap works much better. A big thank you to the UofA staff and to BYC, NiftyChicken etc for allowing us to be a part of this exciting research project. We hope we can participate in any future research projects they have.

Nice research facility and that Scientist looks like he knows his stuff.

If I put the aluminum foil UNDER the chickens will it STOP them from going broody??

I have no rooster but several girls occasionally think they should be hatching the plastic eggs in the nest. They try to hatch the shavings in the absence of the plastic egg.
And then they go in the broody box for a day or 2 or ... depending on the ambient temp. Faster in the cold winter than the warm summer.

Bruce

This is very good to know. Now all I need is a rooster to give it a try. I think my little Americana might me a roo. I am also hoping I have a pair of magpie ducks. Still to young to tell.

Last edited:
Forget the aluminum foil, I found this new fangled incubator. Will cut your incubation time in half. Drop the chicken egg in the hole and a chick will appear in 10 days. This particular unit will hold up to 18 eggs. Large version available for the ratite egg. You can get a conversion kit to adapt the unit to run off gas or diesel. Or simply plug it in any outlet. Solar power unit will be available next year.

Available exclusively at Chuckling Chicken Farms for $89.95 plus shipping.

Is this a powerglide unit?

Does increasing broodiness also increase/kickstart egg production? I ask because my new additions still aren't laying. They were about to start (I think - I'd had them about 3 weeks by then) when I had a dog attack. Since that attack two weeks ago, I've now been getting eggs only from my star layer. So, wondering if the foil/hormone trick might get the girls more interested in "making babies" :D

I enjoy sitting under aluminum foil too. Have half a roll above me right now. And what do u know im sitting on a clutch of eggs. I had a 3% hatch rate last time i went broody

Back
Top Bottom