April Hatch Along

Pics
If I were you, I'd expose his beak soon so you know hes not flipped wrong. I had a duck almost fully zipped and it turned around backwards
1f625.png

I am by no means any where near an expert, but I will say the one zip I just watched began looking like it was headed the wrong way. I found that pip yesterday night, but it could have pipped at anytime yesterday. I've decided I won't even consider helping until 24 hrs pipped and no other active eggs.

I wouldn't mess with it yet, until it appears to be actively zipping. Ducklings will punch around several times, while they get into position.

Cool, I'll have to check out your build!

love.gif
Pretty babies!! Congrats!

24 hours is a good guideline for chicks, but its not uncommon for ducklings to take 48 hours.

Thank you EVERYONE!!! I will be keeping a close eye on this babys hatch today!
pop.gif

So its been close to 24 hours since that first one pipped externally and it made the pip bigger yesterday evening so it is getting lots of air but has not been able to zip. It rocks but doesn't seem to be able to turn, I think the inner membrane is drying around it now. The white still looks papery white though, the tiniest curling at one edge. The inner membrane is clear and looks like the veins have dried up where I can see it. the other egg that is pipped has its beak exposed but doesn't appear to be in a hurry to move like the first chick was. The first chick came so fast and still had some yolk that pulled away when it pushed out of its shell, it is still not standing and I would like to move it to the brooder so I can give it some water soon, BUT those other chicks!!!! I was hoping if I left it in the incubator over night it wold be fluffed up(which it mostly is) and the others would have hatch(pipped ones) and I could slip it out. I have read the assisted hatch page, but I am unsure if it is stuck and if I should help yet.
he.gif

So its been close to 24 hours since that first one pipped externally and it made the pip bigger yesterday evening so it is getting lots of air but has not been able to zip. It rocks but doesn't seem to be able to turn, I think the inner membrane is drying around it now. The white still looks papery white though, the tiniest curling at one edge. The inner membrane is clear and looks like the veins have dried up where I can see it. the other egg that is pipped has its beak exposed but doesn't appear to be in a hurry to move like the first chick was. The first chick came so fast and still had some yolk that pulled away when it pushed out of its shell, it is still not standing and I would like to move it to the brooder so I can give it some water soon, BUT those other chicks!!!! I was hoping if I left it in the incubator over night it wold be fluffed up(which it mostly is) and the others would have hatch(pipped ones) and I could slip it out. I have read the assisted hatch page, but I am unsure if it is stuck and if I should help yet.
he.gif

If its still papery white, it "should" be ok. When they start drying out, the membrane starts turning brown. That's when the worrying starts.

When I'm unsure, I have a magnifying glass that I lay on top of the incubator, then while looking through the magnifier, I shine my light quickly back and forth across the egg, and knock on the window. Usually that will at least spark even the tiniest of movements to show me that the chick is still alive. I've even been known to stick a straw through a vent hole, and tap the egg, just to get some reaction! I don't normally assist unless the membrane looks like its getting dry.

BUT -- there are some breeds that I'm not so patient with. Seramas, for one. I keep my humidity on the high side, and it recovers quickly, so I pull eggs and chicks when there is a break in the action. Opening the incubator is not an immediate death sentence, as long as humidity doesn't drastically drop, and you do it quickly (and carefully, of course)

On the 25th day, only 6 of 20 eggs hatched in my dependable Brinsea Oct 20 Adv so I broke them. From these photos, can anyone tell me likely reason that these eggs had no development

If its still papery white, it "should" be ok. When they start drying out, the membrane starts turning brown. That's when the worrying starts.

When I'm unsure, I have a magnifying glass that I lay on top of the incubator, then while looking through the magnifier, I shine my light quickly back and forth across the egg, and knock on the window. Usually that will at least spark even the tiniest of movements to show me that the chick is still alive. I've even been known to stick a straw through a vent hole, and tap the egg, just to get some reaction! I don't normally assist unless the membrane looks like its getting dry.

BUT -- there are some breeds that I'm not so patient with. Seramas, for one. I keep my humidity on the high side, and it recovers quickly, so I pull eggs and chicks when there is a break in the action. Opening the incubator is not an immediate death sentence, as long as humidity doesn't drastically drop, and you do it quickly (and carefully, of course)

Ok, thanks, well they are moving in there and have air at least. The one is looking like it is trying to get out, or turn to zip. It looks a bit big for the egg, and the other one I can still see a bit of red vein on its membrane so it is probably just not quite ready.

This little one seems to be doing ok!! In the brooder now, looks so small all on its own :-( hopefully the other two will hatch soon! This little one is drinking and eating now! Still very wobbly on its legs.

Last edited:
Today is day 18 for my eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your lockdown!!! I have eggs on day 16, day 12 and day 5......the waiting is stressful!!!

We now have four hatched and one actively zipping.
smile.png

Congratulations!! Go babies go!!!!
On the 25th day, only 6 of 20 eggs hatched in my dependable Brinsea Oct 20 Adv so I broke them. From these photos, can anyone tell me likely reason that these eggs had no development
Are these your own eggs, or shipped eggs?

For me, the non development can just be damage from shipping - sometimes the shaking and bumps they get is just too much. It can be low fertility of the eggs. It can be the age of the eggs - the older the egg, the lower the viability. It could be heat or cold the eggs were exposed to before you got them. It's hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom