April Hatch Along

Pics
How long does it usually take for them to be able to stand?This one is scooting all over and knocking eggs around but can't stand yet. The other two pips have just gotten bigger and I can clearly see its beak, and movement in the other!!!

They are usually pretty clumsy for 4-6 hours at least! been squished up in an egg...so it takes a while to figure out how everything works
big_smile.png

Thank you!!! I am sooooo excited! I am a little worried about this duck egg-baby...piped yesterday at 6pm...he has broken a little of the shell...but it looks like he is heading to the top of the egg? Instead of around?
If I were you, I'd expose his beak soon so you know hes not flipped wrong. I had a duck almost fully zipped and it turned around backwards
1f625.png

Sounds expensive! :eek:
By the way, your rooster may not be missing the mark, with 18 hens he probably has a few favorites and spreads himself thin, so some of the ladies may not even be...ummm...getting any!

It isn't cheap, but most sellers have been great about replacement eggs. I agree that my roo has favorites. Ideally I'll rebalance the flock this season.

I borrowed a little giant for some of my hatching. I'll refurbish my McGuyverbator (aquarium incubator) as another hatcher.

I haven't updated, but a lot of my homemade incubator notes are on here. Search for tao's incubator.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1085481/taos-incubator-build-notes

I love seeing all the hatching happiness! Congrats! :weee

Last edited:
Good morning all!!
So I woke up early today and decided to take whatever time I have while the toddler sleeps to check in on the incubator. Sure enough there were babies! One of last nights pips had hatched, and another who must have progressed pretty quickly. I also got to watch a chick zip and hatch for first time! So now I have three chicks and four pips. They aren't quite at day 20. Plus so far they are all blue (not 100% sure with the fresh hatched, but I'm pretty certain)!!

Thank you!!! I am sooooo excited! I am a little worried about this duck egg-baby...piped yesterday at 6pm...he has broken a little of the shell...but it looks like he is heading to the top of the egg? Instead of around?
I am by no means any where near an expert, but I will say the one zip I just watched began looking like it was headed the wrong way. I found that pip yesterday night, but it could have pipped at anytime yesterday. I've decided I won't even consider helping until 24 hrs pipped and no other active eggs.

Thank you!!! I am sooooo excited!

I am a little worried about this duck egg-baby...piped yesterday at 6pm...he has broken a little of the shell...but it looks like he is heading to the top of the egg? Instead of around?

I wouldn't mess with it yet, until it appears to be actively zipping. Ducklings will punch around several times, while they get into position.

It isn't cheap, but most sellers have been great about replacement eggs. I agree that my roo has favorites. Ideally I'll rebalance the flock this season.

I borrowed a little giant for some of my hatching. I'll refurbish my McGuyverbator (aquarium incubator) as another hatcher.

I haven't updated, but a lot of my homemade incubator notes are on here. Search for tao's incubator.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1085481/taos-incubator-build-notes

I love seeing all the hatching happiness! Congrats!
wee.gif

Cool, I'll have to check out your build!

Good morning all!!
So I woke up early today and decided to take whatever time I have while the toddler sleeps to check in on the incubator. Sure enough there were babies! One of last nights pips had hatched, and another who must have progressed pretty quickly. I also got to watch a chick zip and hatch for first time! So now I have three chicks and four pips. They aren't quite at day 20. Plus so far they are all blue (not 100% sure with the fresh hatched, but I'm pretty certain)!!

love.gif
Pretty babies!! Congrats!

I am by no means any where near an expert, but I will say the one zip I just watched began looking like it was headed the wrong way. I found that pip yesterday night, but it could have pipped at anytime yesterday. I've decided I won't even consider helping until 24 hrs pipped and no other active eggs.

24 hours is a good guideline for chicks, but its not uncommon for ducklings to take 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom