April Hatch Along

Pics
I have pips! 3/5 as of this morning before I went to work (yes, I did consider staying home, but duty calls). They were peeping at me as I got ready to go. I'm hoping for some babies when I get home!

Good for you...LOL! I have been known to play hooky for hatching babies
hide.gif

They relax the first day or so. Don't worry too much for a couple days.
smile.png

fl.gif

I have taken vacation days on hatch day! One time I didn't and the boss laughed. Was shocked that I was at work lol! Now I usually just run home at lunch time, but it kills me all day long!
tongue.png
thumbsup.gif

My single chick from my compromised hatch was constantly sleeping the day after hatch. I was concerned, too, until I saw a bunch of pictures of newly hatched chicks napping all over the other eggs in the bator. They just had a loooong ordeal, and need time to be at 100%.
1f60a.png
YES! Mine were sleepy the first day or 2..now they run around..poop themselves out and nap
big_smile.png
Then do it all over again!

So today is the first time I have candled eggs. I think I have it down, but we will find out. I am incubating 2 breeds- Ayam Cemami and Lavedar Orpington. The Ayam's went in and are at day 9. I saw movement of the embryos and currently 11 out of 12 appear viable. The Orpingtons didn't fair as well. Currently it is day 8 and 10 out of 16 seemed viable. There were potentially 2 that I counted as not viable, but couldn't tell for sure.

So here is my question: how common is it to lose the viability of embryos going forward. If I leave everything the same in the Ovation, can I estimate a hatch rate. This is my first time, I appreciate any feedback.

Hard to say! I have had some that quit along the way and others go all they way...you just can never tell
idunno.gif
Glad all is going well so far!!!

I moved all the bantam EES and some silkies that hatched easter out to a small grow out coop with some older babies. They were enjoying the warm weather, but I had to catch them to put away for the night. I will get photos tomorrow.

My first lockdown!! I was so nervous getting things set. I'm so nervous and excited!! I candled everyone, again the Ams are looking great, but I'm really not sure about the Orps... I left them but who knows. Hopefully they don't explode. I only saw definite movement in one egg today and caught a picture of the moving part (pictured below).

My first lockdown!! I was so nervous getting things set. I'm so nervous and excited!! I candled everyone, again the Ams are looking great, but I'm really not sure about the Orps... I left them but who knows. Hopefully they don't explode. I only saw definite movement in one egg today and caught a picture of the moving part (pictured below).

How cool. Fingers crossed for you. Post pics

My duck eggs have an external pip!!!! :weee They are officially due on Monday. I saw them trying to internal pip yesterday...3 of the 5 so hopefully these babies will hatch out with no issues:fl

Did you say this was your first time hatching ducks? I've hatched some adorable chicks, but I swear, there isn't much cuter in the world than a newly hatched duckling. :D

Part of my last large egg hatching batch for the season. Excluding quail later.

Set this bator plus a brinsea 20 stacked tight and left overs in a reptipro. A little over 220 eggs.

I lost 40 in the postage mishap. The seller shipped me 60. The 100 I ordered sent 120. So I had more then planned.

Now if they hatch.

My cabinet is still full of turkey eggs.

Look at that packed bator!! Lots of babies on the way!

Did you say this was your first time hatching ducks? I've hatched some adorable chicks, but I swear, there isn't much cuter in the world than a newly hatched duckling.
big_smile.png

I tried last year...but it didn't go well
hmm.png
I had one duckling hatch out of 10...and then had to quickly find it a friend
big_smile.png
3 of my eggs are looking REALLY good, so fingers crossed it goes well!!!! That baby I hatched was ADORABLE
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom