April Hatch Along

Pics
That's awesome - yes, I much prefer hatching my own backyard flock eggs - and hopefully after this stint of shipped egg hatching, I will have the breeds I want to finally start doing more of that!
My Buffy broody this morning has three chicks and 1 more zipping - so only one egg to go (I didn't get a good look at it, so not sure if it pipped or not.) And then the true test of what kind of mamma she will be!! I wonder when they decide they're done hatching and that it's time to start raising the babies (taking them to water, etc.)

In general, I think mine usually get up fairly quickly after the last one hatches. I've seen little half-wet ones trying to keep up! But it probably depends on the hen, and the whole length of the hatch. Some will stick on the nest as long as there are unhatched eggs. I had one hen that took a big broody poop, right there in the box, so I knew she wasn't going to budge with eggs still under her. Dead ones or not! Others, I think, can sense if eggs are dead, and will leave them. I try to keep water and feed within fairly close reach, so if she wants to stay on the eggs, but wants to point out the food/water to the little ones, she can.

I now have 6 momma hens raising little ones, all under 4 weeks old. 3 of the 6 groups are in one pen (chocolate orpingtons)! They are all helping with their own, and their nieces and nephews. Its been fun to watch.

In general, I think mine usually get up fairly quickly after the last one hatches.  I've seen little half-wet ones trying to keep up!  But it probably depends on the hen, and the whole length of the hatch.  Some will stick on the nest as long as there are unhatched eggs.  I had one hen that took a big broody poop, right there in the box, so I knew she wasn't going to budge with eggs still under her.  Dead ones or not!  Others, I think, can sense if eggs are dead, and will leave them.   I try to keep water and feed within fairly close reach, so if she wants to stay on the eggs, but wants to point out the food/water to the little ones, she can.

I now have 6 momma hens raising little ones, all under 4 weeks old.  3 of the 6 groups are in one pen (chocolate orpingtons)!  They are all helping with their own, and their nieces and nephews.  Its been fun to watch.   

I bet that is so great!! How fun! Do they all get the correct chicks back in each nest at night? Or do they sometimes switch kids?

I bet that is so great!! How fun! Do they all get the correct chicks back in each nest at night? Or do they sometimes switch kids?

Most of the kids stay with their right momma at night, but I've seen a few with a different one. Especially out in the run, like just to get warmed up for a minute! Actually, the 3rd momma in there hasn't been outside with her one baby yet, I just opened her up yesterday, just before dark. But while she was in one of the open nest boxes (while momma #2 was in the closed-off one), a couple of the 1st momma's babies would jump in the nest box with her, while she was still sitting on eggs! I had revolving nest boxes for a few weeks! Will be curious to see how it goes tonight, because they will all be open to go wherever they want.

Baby pictures!!
Here are all the chicks I currently have hatched out. Am1 was the one I thought was a wry neck, but after some good alone time and some poultry cell, it's doing wonderfully. So who knows, they are all marked so I can keep an eye on him.

I still have four eggs in the incubator, one Am and three Orps. I will let them stay for the next few days and see if there is any life left. So far I've seen no signs, but it's just day 21 for the Am and 20 for the Orps.

I now have 4 baby chicks!! All from my little hen, the 2 blue are not due until tomorrow so maybe they will still hatch! My big hens eggs are showing no outward signs of life though :-( its a staggered hatch though so one is due today, one tomorrow so there is still hope for them too. The 2 I had to assist are doing well. The second one I fully helped out of its shell today was so stuck I had to soak it in warm water and gently wipe with q-tips and paper towel until I could free it. Poor little chick. Its in the brooder with the others though and drinking and eating and on its feet!!! the last one hatched great all on its own! and sooo clean compared to my other sticky babies, wish they were all that easy!!

What kind of incubator? Breeds? Local humidity? Are you by chance at high elevation?
1f44d.png
Thanks
Farm Innovations 4250 I think - auto turner, fan and hygrometer with plastic over the styrofoam.
Auburn Java
Humidity fairly high - rainy spring - but incubator humidity as stated fairly steady - in closed small bathroom
Elevation about 3100 ft

Last edited:
1f44d.png
Thanks
Farm Innovations 4250 I think - auto turner, fan and hygrometer with plastic over the styrofoam.
Auburn Java
Humidity fairly high - rainy spring - but incubator humidity as stated fairly steady - in closed small bathroom
Elevation about 3100 ft

Did you open any of the ones that didn't hatch? 50% is usually pretty high early on, but I've heard that higher elevations need a little higher humidity. Do you adjust the way you bake? I mean do you use the high elevation directions on a cake mix, etc?

The other thing you could investigate is ventilation. Air exchange is very important, probably more so at higher elevations. Maybe someone else can chime in about those details. I can't remember if all vents open all the time is what folks have found works best.

Unfortunately its alot of trial and error to find what works best for each of us. Keep working on it. You'll get it.

Oh, one other thing, could the quality of the eggs be an issue? Shipped, Healthy parent stock, shell quality, were they from a similar elevation as you, etc. Lots of factors to consider.

Did you open any of the ones that didn't hatch? 50% is usually pretty high early on, but I've heard that higher elevations need a little higher humidity. Do you adjust the way you bake? I mean do you use the high elevation directions on a cake mix, etc?

The other thing you could investigate is ventilation. Air exchange is very important, probably more so at higher elevations. Maybe someone else can chime in about those details. I can't remember if all vents open all the time is what folks have found works best.

Unfortunately its alot of trial and error to find what works best for each of us. Keep working on it. You'll get it.

Oh, one other thing, could the quality of the eggs be an issue? Shipped, Healthy parent stock, shell quality, were they from a similar elevation as you, etc. Lots of factors to consider.

Didn't "open" them as was at a friend's home and she was deeply worried about the smell. But I did toss them outside - of the 16 I last tossed at least 2 seemed to be fully developed while the rest were just mostly liquid when the broke even though the All were big dark blobs that filled all but the air space when candled at lockdown.

No
1f60a.png
we don't need to adjust baking at this altitude. At least I don't and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Air flow may have been an issue as I think we may have been too focused on maintaining humidity.

Eggs came from quality stock. All the eggs looked strong, well shaped and without external fault.
They came from Illinois and I'm in NC. Not sure about elevation difference.

Yes, learning curve at expense of many lives and financial cost. But I do know I have a lot to learn, both about hatching and keeping healthy chickens.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

What is your secret with that incubator? Once I empty mine this time I am seriously considering throwing it in the trash. :( very happy for you....this must be operator error. I don't know....I just hate this thing.

If you are talking to me....I expected to have to ride temp and humidity - but didn't a whole lot. But then we kept it in a separate closed small room, not a lot of fluctuations.
Sorry your experience was so negative :(

Back
Top Bottom