Aquarium Water Heater in bucket with horizontal nipples run by solar power?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by poohbaby, Apr 1, 2016.

1. poohbaby

poohbaby New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Hello! My first 10 chicks are "due" on April 20th and I should have them on the 22nd!!! Can't wait. We are trying to make our coop solar powered. I have the chicken door and the light figured out. Now, I just have to figure out the waterer. I live in Northern Wisconsin and would need the heater to run for anywhere from November through March (depending on the winter). Does anyone have any experience with this? I have found some threads on success with the lower wattage aquarium heaters, so that seems to be the way to go. Just trying to avoid running an extension cord 100 feet through the snow!!! Thank you!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) Try posting in the "Feeding & Watering Your Chickens" section.

3. poohbaby

poohbaby New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    I will see if I can figure it out! Thank you!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Sorry, i can't help you with your question, but i hope that the thread mentioned by BF4L will help. To find it, look at "Forum Nav" - it currently says "New member introductions" and scroll down to the thread you wish to post on, then go to "start a new thread".

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you get enough sun in winter to use solar power?

6. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You might also try the DIY/Self-Sufficiency forum under Miscellaneous.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by