Araucana thread anyone?

Just got home from work. Changed clothes, ran out to the coop to check for chicks...I don't hear a single peep. I tap on the wall...still no sounds. I open up the nest box door, and see this:
:wee:yesss::ya
SCREW THAT INCUBATOR!!!
Oh thank God they hatched! I’m so happy for you Trish! :celebrate :hugs
I count 5 chicks, how many eggs was she sitting on?

Oh thank God they hatched! I’m so happy for you Trish! :celebrate :hugs
I count 5 chicks, how many eggs was she sitting on?
She was sitting on 6. Three black/mottled, 2 BRR, and 1 Blue Boy/Blue tufted hen.
I see 2 black/mottled, 2 BBR, but what is the chick on the left, the one crawling up her back? Splash? An off duckwing or BBR?

Last edited:
The thing is? The pullets are right behind him in size.
In regards to my 9 week olds - the ones I originally thought were cockerels due to size (when they were much younger) were the ones that turned out to be pullets! As of right now, all 4 (2 pullets 2 cockerels) are the exact same size.

I just saw the mother hen take her chicks out of the nest. There are three duckwing / bbr, and two black chicks. The one egg that didn't hatch was the blue tufted X blue tufted. I candled it and it was never even fertile. Two of the duckwing / bbr chicks are clean faced, the other is double tufted with perfectly even tufts! The two black ones are clean faced. Though I have not hatched many from Manolito, I am disappointed he is not throwing his tufts. Only one of his chicks has been double tufted (MJ). After test breeding MJ next year, I will probably sell off Manolito and Mama as a pair, and MJ will be my new mottled cockbird for that line.

I just saw the mother hen take her chicks out of the nest. There are three duckwing / bbr, and two black chicks. The one egg that didn't hatch was the blue tufted X blue tufted. I candled it and it was never even fertile. Two of the duckwing / bbr chicks are clean faced, the other is double tufted with perfectly even tufts! The two black ones are clean faced. Though I have not hatched many from Manolito, I am disappointed he is not throwing his tufts. Only one of his chicks has been double tufted (MJ). After test breeding MJ next year, I will probably sell off Manolito and Mama as a pair, and MJ will be my new mottled cockbird for that line.

I bred tufted x tufted and had less than 25% dead in shell. they (breeders) had thin tufts and only 1 chick had thick tufts. I am looking for tufted araucanas only.

Back
Top Bottom