Araucanas and ameraucanas ?! Wishful thinking?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Amydls, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Amydls

Amydls Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    The little guys with lighter faces photos 1-4 were sold as “ameraucanas”... I’m no chicken expert and have only owned silkies so this year we picked up a few different breeds to add birds that would lay colored eggs.
    Could believe it when I saw “araucanas” advertised and took 3 chicks without hesitation a few days later.. the last photos of chicks with darker faces are supposedly “araucanas”. I called the store back a day later and queried if they were araucanas or someone had made a spelling mistake ... they assured me that they were. Any guesses ?

Attached Files:

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Easter Eggers is my guess.
    I see some green legs.

3. PNW_Peepers

PNW_Peepers Crowing

Dec 17, 2017
    Astoria, Oregon
    My Coop
    Your “Ameraucana” are actually EE. The darker faced once’s suspiciously look like EE too. Sorry they falsely advertised to you.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2 on both counts

5. Amydls

Amydls Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    Thanks guys - that was my suspicion- obviously why I called the store back and said.... are you sure !??? After doing a little more research on them. They’ll be loved either way and now we will just see what array of eggs they start to lay ! Anybody think this chick could be a Roo or too early to tell ? Very different coloring to the two sibling chicks... far more copper and red

Attached Files:

6. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    My teacher keeps and shows Araucanas/Ameraucanas... so off topic

7. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    All of them are easter eggers

8. Amydls

Amydls Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    Thanks - any guesses what breeds they could be a mix of ? Slightly disappointing that my suspicions have been confirmed but totally unsurprised too. Wouldn’t have bought 6 EE chicks though to add to the flock... maybe 3 at most! I’ll be happy of the eggs they lay when my silkies are too busy being pretty to lay.

9. Lauren Adams

Lauren Adams Songster

Oct 29, 2017
    MI
    Well there are usually about three different three varieties of Amerecaunas they look like this....

Attached Files:

10. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Easter Eggers, at least you’ll have variety of shade of green to blue eggs:) isn’t in US Auracanas standards are usually rumpless/tailed and have ear tufted? And the Ameracaunas are bearded and tailed? Any thing in between are EEs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: