Arctic blast coming to my area

Just checked on them again. Coop is 0 degrees! Sun is hitting it now so it should start warming up. No redness on their feet. A little frost on the top of feathers on some but combs and waddles are fine. Once the coop is a little warmer i might open it up to let out more moist air. -19 degrees so slightly warmer than this morning

When we had our first hard freeze, the bantam was shivering a little because she was moulting, I think. Now that the plumage is full and she also has acclimated to the winter, she is fine. Tonight's predicted 55-year record breaking low will be more of a challenge to the hose-trickle supplied water to not freeze up. The dish for their water is about 10 feet from below the kitchen sink- the hose runs across concrete under the coop bedding before coming up over the water dish.
Fingers crossed that deg. F outside will not extend into that short distance from the house due to its thermal leakage.
Comments?

I locked the girls up again today. All are doing well and the coop is definitely warmer than the outside air. Our young Cream Legbar even laid a beautiful egg this morning. However, she & the Marans have frostbitten tips on their combs :*(
Get some vaseline on there! Im going out shortly to reapply it to our girls...well whomever i can get ahold of in the coop. Im gonna try and get them all but my helper is at work

Get some vaseline on there! Im going out shortly to reapply it to our girls...well whomever i can get ahold of in the coop. Im gonna try and get them all but my helper is at work
Too late to put vaseline on the frostbite. Messing with frostbitten tissue can cause more damage. They'll recover from it. The frozen parts will slough off, and they will be "winter dubbed", but they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom