Are Barred Rock Hens protective?

Novice Chick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Hi! I am new to raising chickens. In March, I bought 6 RI Reds, whom I love, they are very sweet girls! I wanted to add a little variety to the group, so late April I added 1 Barred Rock (Millie) and 1 Arracauna (Gigi). A couple weeks ago Gigi was attacked by a hawk. I managed to save her, somehow by reading tips in other BYC threads. Gigi is miraculously alive, but seems very limited in her abilities. You can tell by the way she walks and the way she is growing that she is just not 100% healthy. Millie (Barred Rock) is EXTREMELY protective of her! If I want to pick up Gigi or even gently pet her, Millie comes running out of nowhere to peck at me. When they sleep, Gigi sleeps under Millie. Is this normal for chickens, to be so protective? Millie has finally grown use to the even little chickens coming around Gigi, but she keeps a close eye on them also. In some respects, I applaud her for her dedication to her "family member. I had no idea chickens were like this. Anything you could offer on their "personalities" would be great. And then I began to wonder based off of everything I read, could Milled (Barred Rock) be a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom