Are chickens capable of affection?

No, you're not crazy (I think). I don't know if it's scientifically proven, but I swear my chickens think I'm their long-lost sister and
love.gif
me as one... annoying pranks and all.
roll.png

When I 1st got my young pullets just b4 they molted, the man I got them from grabbed ea 1 by their feet/legs, hung them upside down, their wings flappin, their "womanly" voices ea a different sound, just as women do, in distress...it made me realize then and there, they are all individuals, and each has a personality and feelings... so YES!!
(edited for Elisabeth: No, the one w/spurs did NOT have a manly voice;) LOL

Last edited:
I agree! The last hatch (so far) was 4 days ago. I had seven Silkies. Those little babies hear my voice and see me place my hand in their cage and they jump right in my hand.
smile.png

My blind Buff Orp will "find" me and stand on my feet until I pick her up. She snuggles right down and makes noises of total happiness when I talk to her. She falls asleep and is so peaceful. I think she loves me. I'm very fond of her too and can't imagine not having her, but she is thin because she can't eat as much as she needs, I hand feed her twice a day, so I think that has formed the bond.

Oh absolutely!!!! Chickens (when raised being handled) are very affectionate animals!!! You can watch them and see how intelligent they are. Mine desire and seek out my attention.....some will sit on my feet and make me walk with them if I don't immediately pick them up when asked.
smile.png
We have a very mutual love going on here. They also recognize different people. My rooster (who is NOT fond of being held himself) is fine with any of my immediate family picking up and carrying his hens. A stranger tries, however, and he literally runs them out of the yard and won't let them back in. Everyone should experience chicken love, IMO.
love.gif

Some are really affectionate. Some are not. It depends on the individual bird. But I have seen them follow their owners like pups and look for a chance to hop onto their laps and murmur or "chat." Most people are completely unaware that chickens are capable of this type of pet-like behavior. And they won't believe you if you tell them. Heck, I didn't believe it until I saw it. But seeing is believing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom