Are hens eating eggs?

No, they aren't native, but people have released them and they have become feral. I read an article about it last year where they were basically attacking small pets.

Yeah, those iguanas are crazy! I grew up in SW Florida, and I saw one trying to cross the Cape Coral bridge one day- I thought I was seeing things. But, then I heard about people getting tired or scared of their giant, old iguanas, so they just chuck them in the backyard. Its pretty bad... they will eat anything they can catch, is what I hear, which I guess could include captive chicken eggs. I used to see them, or maybe it was just one that kept hanging around, in my old neighborhood.
smile.png

Iguanas are predominantly vegetarians. I have had three and only one would occasionally eat crickets but no other meat. I kind of doubt the iguana is eating the eggs but I could be wrong. If you do try to catch him and corner him be careful of the tail. They can whip you pretty good.

Unfoutunatley, I caught my Buff Orpington Roo eating eggs, 1 or 2 a day before I could pin it on him. He is presently in rehab, but methinks his habit is not going to be broken as the previous owners could not single out which chook it was out of the 30 they had. If we don't get to the henhouse early enough to seperate him we find him in a nestbox hovering over the eggs. He has also perverted one of our hens and she is currently in the same rehab program with him. So in long...yes Roos do eat eggs

I found 2 of my speckled sussex pullets eating some egg yolk from a broken egg laid by our white leghorn. I only have 1 of 6 laying right now so I don't know who broke it or if it broke when it came out. (she has only been laying for 2 wks)

I am hoping it won't happen again!!

I called a friend and she said more protein and calcium needed to be added to their diets if they are breaking the eggs. So tomorrow I am going to the feed store to buy some fish meal and oyster shell.

Quote:
I used to live in the Keys and we had a lot of feral Iguanas. Yes they are meat eaters when they reach the size to attack anything they can kill. And they defiantly will eat eggs. They crack and break open the shell and lick out the contents.

I had caught several while living there including a 4 ft with a broken tail, he would have been 5 ft with the tail. He was chowing down on a neighbors cat when I caught him. They also hang where there is a food supply. I would say odds are good the lizard is the culprit and as he gets bigger he will eat the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom