Are my birds suitable for eating?

Definitely not a Dominique. Doms have rose combs, that's a single comb. It's not a Barred Rock either, the barring pattern is not correct. My guess is that he is some kind of a mix. Looks like he could be good as a sire for a meat bird.

If you try to hatch enough boys to eat much meat you will soon be overrun with girls. I don't need that many eggs, can't afford to feed them or build enough facilities to house them. Do the math. I eat the pullets I don't need for replacements but many people sell them, maybe as POL (Point of Lay). Many say they can get enough money selling them to pay for the feed. Selling them does not meet my goals, set-up, or the way I want to manage them but is a viable option.
Good point. We have a little under 4 acres for them to free range on and during drought it’s slim pickings. At this point I’m going to wait and see how many more roosters are going to surprise me. I’ve already read homed 3 this year

Those two birds are the ones I was thinking of using for breeding. She’s the only laying hen at the moment and every egg I’ve used has been fertilized. Just waiting to get a full dozen at least before incubating.
I would definitely use those two 😊 waiting until you have a full dozen is smart haha

Why are you eating all those sweet little pullets? They aren’t even meat birds. Roosters I understand, but pullets?
I don’t see any Dominiques.
They never said they were eating them. It says right in the post, right at the top even, that they are not eating those ones but hatching more from them 🤷‍♀️ But even if they were eating them, it would be their decision so judging and shaming/guilt tripping them really is not helpful. 🤷‍♀️

Ugh how can you tell if they don’t crow
I made this extremely clear in my first post.. and only on page 4.. but again for general purpose.. it's ALL in the pointy saddle feathers in NON hen feathered breeds like the one in your flock...
1608873947164.png

Hen feathered breeds I know of are Seabright and Campine.

Definitely not a Dominique. Doms have rose combs, that's a single comb
I don't think it's even a Dominique cross.. because according to my understanding which is admittedly limited and still growing.. a straight comb is the absence of any modifying comb genes.. and a (pure) rose comb bird crossed to a straight combed bird would produce rose combed offspring..
https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/poultry-genetics-an-introduction/

I'd enjoy this flock for what it is including dinner and work towards starting with fresh hatchery or NPIP certified heritage breeder birds.. to achieve the laying, meat, personality, growth rate, etc.. that you want.. Wyandotte are very decent.. Orp are so far off my list as they are slow growing, over rated, beautiful birds.

Yes I can/do sell my extra grow out pullets usually for $20-30 each.. which is way more value than a night on the dinner table.. but space is ALWAYS a prime.. and even with larger acreage.. the birds tend to stay under cover like trees and bushes.. and within a certain "home range" of their coop.. My personal goal.. 1 chicken dinner per week.. I lose some to predation and a couple to Marek's.. but hatching a dozen eggs every 2 or three weeks.. I figure might just about do it.. never mind chicken math! ;)

You might want to start a new thread about your bird that's walking low to the ground today.. that can be one symptom of Marek's.. but please assess the situation before jumping to any scary conclusions but also expediently.. look for any heat, swelling, cut, etc that indicates possible injury. And when/if you start your new thread.. include AGE, feed routine including treats etc, how long they've been at your place, and any other information that might seem relevant or offer clues. :fl

Back
Top Bottom