Are my hens Easter Eggers?

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
I have a few hens I don't know what breed they belong too, and I'm really curious to find out. I thought they were Easter Eggers, since they have pea combs, muffs (I believe this is the correct term, they are like little cushions), beards, the mottled feathering, full tails, everything except they all lay rather large light brown eggs. Never any hint of color. This is confusing me tremendously, what breed could they be?
idunno.gif

most likely they are EE's crossed I have one hen that looks like you decribed her color is bard rock pattern i now wonder what color she lays i get 2 green eggs at least 6 days a week. I know they come form 2 different chickens and only 2 chickens by the shape and size they are and one of the chickens for sure looks (normal) and bard rock pattern. So yours could be EE's

EE's are just mutts who are the product of much cross breeding of their ancestors. Consequently, they can lay eggs which are any color from white to green. Most likely, your hens are EE's, they just don't lay green eggs.

Can you post pics? EEs don't usually have mottled plumage. What you are describing sounds more like a silver laced wyandotte to me, but I would need to see pics to know for sure.

It's a long shot as they are rare, I believe,... but could they be Orloffs? Looking at your avatar... if that is the bird in question... then yes, they are EEs
smile.png

Last edited:
A couple of my EEs lay a light brown almost pinkish colored egg. Don't be too disappointed though! Think of how hard it is for a hen to have to push an egg out every day!

Back
Top Bottom