Are roosters appx. 13-14 weeks okay in flavor to eat?

Man, thanks ya'll for this! Yes, if I ever do this again, I probably will just focus on breasts and maybe thighs/legs. I did use the innards - gizzards, livers, hearts - for the stock I roasted in the mar-i-puas (sp? carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, garlic, green onion) The stock turned out great. I only ate the livers however..... I've never liked hearts or gizzards that much.

I would never pluck feathers on a whimpy little rooster wing like this!

I don't know the breed. They were a barnyard mix, mostly gray and black. Roosters for sure. They looked bigger but that's what chickens do, the feathers make them look meatier. I'm serious, I only got around a pound of meat from these three boys. Waste of time!
Not a waste of time, look at all you have learned! And, enchiladas . . .

So, I guess I have given my position away: I have some chicks that now have started their real rooster phase - crowing, trying to get on the hens, etc. I am not going to keep them. While I've raised a lot of chickens and slaughtered many meat birds, I have not slaughtered and eaten roos at this age before. Are they too 'gamey' at this age to be delicious in a stew or a gumbo?

I just wanted to see what you all thought, thank you!

Birds gain flavor as they age. Strong flavor is often referred to as "gamey". At the still tender age of broiler there is little game. I love gumbo but would rather BBQ, fry or roast broiler aged birds. I reserve stews like gumbo or coq vin for birds past roasting age.

Keep in mind broiler age for non Cornish Cross birds is up to 15 weeks of age. The meat industry prior to CX slaughtered over 12 weeks of age. If you've never had a traditional broiler before I urge you to try one. Even if you don't plan to grill at least try roasting one and decide for yourself if flavor at that age is too gamey for your palette. It won't be tough like older birds and far less gamey but it's certainly not bland like 6 and 8 week old grocery store cornish cross.

Back
Top Bottom